Need Help to setup Surround sound - total newbie!

Username: Mikev101

Post Number: 1
I just purchased the Samsung LNT4665F 46" 1080p LCD HDTV. I would like to do the following:

Run my HP Media Suite PC through my TV
Add 5:1 surround sound
Add a 1080p upconvert DVD Player

I currently own a Sony STR-DE597 receiver.

Can I use this receiver with the Sony 1080p DVPNS77HS Upconvert DVD Player and the Logitech Z-5500 500 Watts 5.1 Surround Sound System, with my new LCD TV and Media Suite PC and achieve a nice home theatre setup with surround sound??

Like I said...very new to this...don't want to go to HD DVD or Blu Ray right now, and have a limited budget for speakers, but would like to watch a DVD in 1080p w/surround sound. Room is not huge (about 18 x 15)

Thanks!!

-Mike

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14176
You could make it all work, but can you define "nice home theater"? Very different for every individual.

I believe the logitech is a stand alone system so using a receiver will not be necessary. You can just connect your all audio sources to the Z-5500, connect the speakers and you have your instant home theater. check the instruction manual of your Logitech and if you get stuck, check back.

Have fun with your new toys!

Username: Mikev101

Post Number: 2
Well, by "nice", I guess I would like the speakers to sound crisp and clear, when watching movies I would like to turn the volume up so I can feel the surround sound without the speakers sounding like they are about to blow. It doesn't have to be theatre quality, but it should provide some level of enjoyment for the novice.

Are you sure the logitech Z-5500 does not require a receiver? Since I have the Sony receiver, would I be better of adding the Z-5500, or just buying seperate speakers?

Thanks.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 14184
I'm pretty sure the Logitech is a stand alone system with inputs from different sources. I take it you don't have this unit yet?

It should provide you with an adequate system and you should not be needing the receiver at all.

If you use the receiver, get separate speakers and forego the Logitech.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us