How to connect a Receiver's coaxial Subwoofer output to bare Subwoofer speaker wires ?

Username: Sammyus

Post Number: 1
I have a Receiver that has Sub-woofer out which is coaxial. And I have a Sub-woofer that has a bare speaker wire coming out of it. How do I connect the sub-woofer to the receiver? Please help

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1998
The RCA phono jack on your receiver is not an amplified output --- in other words it is a line level output. It will not provide power to the sub's speaker. What you need is an amplifier that will take that line out signal and power the sub's speaker. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-Subwoofer-Amplifier-300-782/dp/B01LZZCW90

Post Number: 2
Hi John,
Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate this. Does this 25watt sub-woofer amplifier work for any sub-woofer? The sub-woofer I have has a output power of 250W and I am not sure if that makes a difference. Please suggest

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2004
­
Hold on Sameer --- if your sub has an output power then that means it has its own amp. Therefore there's got to be more than just a wire hanging out of it. There's going to be some jacks/controls on it. Why didn't you mention those?

While you're at it, state the brand/model number of this sub, please.
­

Post Number: 3
Hi John,
There are only two bare speakers wires coming out of the sub-woofer. I am trying to use Panasonic SA-PT950 (only the speakers) with Sony STR DG-510 receiver.
Regards

Post Number: 4
Hi John,
I think I many be wrong here. At the back of the sub-woofer it says:
Impedance - 6ohms
Input Power (IEC): 250W (Max)

Sameer
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help