My First Home Theater Set Up - Please Critique!

Ronnie
Unregistered guest
Hi Guys and Gals,
I am looing to build my first home theater system over the next month and here is what I'm looking to get:

Yamaha 7.1 Model: HTR-5760
110W x 7
THD 0.04%
Surround Sound Programs: Yamaha Quad Field DSP, 5 HiFi DSP, 29 Cinema DSP and Silent Cinema, Dolby Digital, Digital EX, Pro Logic, 6 Pro Logic II/IIx, DTS-ES Discrete and Matix 6.1, DTS Digital Surround, 2 Neo:6 and 96/24.

Klipsch SF-3 (Front right and front left)
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=736

Klipsch SC-3 (Front Center)
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=737

Klipsch SS-3 (Back right and back left)
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=738

Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)
http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?cid=55

Although I am purchasing a 7.1 reciever, I am only planning on hooking it up to 5.1 as of right now. I'm pretty new to all this but I believe this is a good system; however, if anyone can make some other recommendations I'd really appreciate it! The part I may need help on is the audio reciever... I know Yamaha does a pretty good job and the THD of 0.04% is pretty damn good! So please help me out...

Thanks,
Ronnie

Bronze Member
Username: Neht

Westford, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 15
Hi Ronnie,

Sounds good. I'm not a big fan of Klipsch, but looks like what you have will work well. Just make sure your getting a good deal from your audio store, good service etc.

Ronnie
Unregistered guest
Well out the door im getting all the equipment for about 1300 bucks... Which is a killer deal! And NO its not stolen :P

If you are not big into Klipsch, what brand would you recomend?

Bronze Member
Username: Neht

Westford, Massachusetts USA

Post Number: 16
Where do I begin? lol No, really the Klipsch system you quote should do you nicely.

I'm an audio dealer so sometimes I'm a little bias.

Unregistered guest
$1300!! for speakers and receiver too, thats great. Where?

Ronnie
Unregistered guest
It is a part of where I work, which must remain undisclosed. Basically I get a ton of great discounts because I sell home theater equipment... I guess the idea behind it is, if I buy it and like it, I will sell more of their stuff...

Silver Member
Username: Elitefan1

Post Number: 439
Ronnie,
In my opinion the combination of Yamaha and Klipsch is much to bright and thin sounding for my taste. Many larger electronic superstores types put these two brands together for marketing purposes because many novices recognize thses two brand names. [Sony also]. They do not work well together, however. The newer Yamaha you mentioned is from the line they market to the superstores and cannot be found in the specialty shops but is basically the same as the RX-V1400. The 1400 and 2400 are much better than previous Yamaha models of the same price point and not as bright but still very thin. Klipsch speakers are extremely bright and do better paired with mellower receivers like Marantz, H/K and Elite. If you have not bought this system yet what other reciever brands does your store carry?

Ronnie
Unregistered guest
Well the store doesnt carry a large selection of recievers, in fact Yamaha is the best company they carry. But here are my choices:

KLH - A BIG No.
Sony - They make awesome televisions, but their recievers and speakers are not the best.
Kenwood - The models we carry do not impress me.
Yamaha - The only one worthwhile in my opinion...

Basically here is my situation... I just graduated from college, I recieved my AS and AA, and I will not start my true career for a couple more years. However, I will start working full time at a decent paying job, less than 30k a year, and I am not trying to go too much in debt because I am putting this all on my credit card right before I leave my current job. I am basically paying 10% above cost on all the recievers, which is a good deal and I'd prefer not to go out and pay full retail.

I know the reciever can be easily replaced but I am more worried about the speakers being up to par for the next ten years or so.

Do you guys think I am making a smart decision? This is basically the top of the line for our store, ignoring the Bose systems.

Thanks in advance,
Ronnie

Username: Cardinal

Post Number: 1
Ronnie - sounds like you likely have a winner here. I love the Klipsch Synergy line - I tested many upper end speakers (polk, boston acoustics, etc.), and nothing came close to the quality of the Klipsch. The "brightness" others referenced comes from the horn, and actually is what makes the Klipsch systems so great for home theater (horn makes voices more realistic). I have not personally tested a Yamaha receiver with these, but you can do so in the store - I am sure it would sound fine. The only recommendation that I would make is to consider a different sub. Klipsch makes great speakers, but you can get better subs. I am personally a great fan of SVS. The PCi line is outstanding for the price, and complements the Synergy speakers extremely well. Hsu also makes a good sub (although not quite as good as SVS, in my opinion). Do not underestimate the impact of the sub in your home theater - I started out with a lesser sub, and in upgrading my equipment over the years, this made the biggest difference of all the upgrades I made!

LaRon
Unregistered guest
you must be shopping at best buy. have you tried the Athenas. that is what I have. It took me three months to chose between them and the Klipsch. I went with them because of the smoother highs and the sound stage was better. The one thing I will say for the klipsch is that the bass hits harder on the sub, but once agian the Athena sub is smoother and less boomy. Oh and if you thing that because you have not herd the name they are not good, well they are made by API who also makes Energy and Mirage.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us