Can I replace PC's 5.1 system with AV amplifier & floor standing speakers?

Username: May1hem

Post Number: 1
Hi, I currently have a 5.1 speaker system connect to my PC's sound card via 3 sockets (front L&R, rear L&R, bass/centre).

I'm finding the bass is high, even when I've turned down the bass volume to zero on the bass box. With some music there's no problem, then some songs with heavy bass-lines come on and my neighbour comes over to complain.

So I'm thinking I'd like to replace the 5.1 speaker system with an AV amplifier and 4 floor-standing speakers. Well this is what the guy at Richer Sounds said I should do anyway.

Is this a good idea? Will I be able to completely shut off the bass this way? Will this still provide surround sound if there are only 4 speakers and no centre or bass connected? Or is there a better way to completely control the bass?

And can you recommend any equipment (amp/speakers). I want to spend max A£500 in total but for this money I definitely want good floor-standing speakers with very clear sound and perfect bass removal/control. Because if I have to keep turning the volume up and down to control the bass then I may as well keep my current system..

Oh, and do AV amps have volume limiters?

I am a complete noob when it comes to hi-fi equipment, so please explain any advice in detail!

Thanks
May

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1990
­
May, I'm not sure what your problem with the bass is. Maybe somebody here will have some input on your question.

Meanwhile I think you should ask this question on a UK-based forum. Any equipment recommendations there will be more usefull to you I should think.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us