Connecting a H/K 320 with an Onkyo for more power.

I was curious as to if I should connect my H/K 320 (55x5) through my optical outputs to an Onkyo HT-R500 (100x5) optical input to increase my output power? Or use the preamp outputs of the H/K to the preamp inputs of the Onkyo? I currently have an additional H/K (2) channel amp (100x2) running my multiroom. Or I could use that for my front mains. But my concern was to get more power to the center channel and front mains. Would this be a good idea for a cheaper way of doing this. Instead of spending $$$$ for a Rotel, Outlaw or even H/K 4-channel amp? Would it actually make that much of a difference? I would use the H/K to control the volume and turning the onkyo to max volume.

I really like the sound from the H/K and the acoustical blend with my Klipsch Reference 35 series speakers. Even though I have a high effiency between the speakers (96-97)db. It seems like I'm turning the receiver up too high to get it loud enough over the environment noise (children, a/c and wife). Approximately 75-85% of my volumes capacity.

Last but not least, I also figured if I did it this way I would preserve the life of my receiver by not making it work too hard.

Anonymous
Are you talking about bridging receivers? Because that isnt possible. The best idea would be to get a good multichannel amp.

Cool thanks!

Hawk
Damon:

Move your H/K 2 channel amp to power your front mains. This will give you consistent sound across all channels and will allow the receiver to increase its power (by about 7-10 wpc) to the other three channels. You can then balance your system by adjusting the speaker levels for each channel. Although you think there is a big disparity in the difference between 100 wpc and 55 wpc, it isn't really that great (< 3 db).

Inserting the Onkyo would not necessarily provide you with more power as the power supplies in Onkyos are not as robust as those found in H/K equipment. Besides, since you like the sound of the H/K, you should stick with it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us