Is this room size to small?

Username: Caverman

Post Number: 1
I'm looking to install a Media Room in my house. The only thing I have that might possibly work is an attic space next to my upstairs game room that houses the water heaters. I've already found some remodelers that should be able to move everything and convert the space to a room.

The room will only be approximately 13' x 16'. I'm hoping to get 2 rows of 3 seats and I'm looking at either a 92" or 100" screen. Is this room goning to be to small? Do you think I'll be able to get 2 rows of seats without the front row being right up against screen? If this would work would you use the 92" or 100" screen?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 452
If the second row needs 6 feet for chairs and leg room that would leave 10 feet for chairs and leg room for the front row. Your head would be about 7-8 feet away from a 100 inch screen, talk about front row affect in a movie theater.
What in the game room and can the two spaces be combined?

Post Number: 3
The game room is for the kids. Can't do much with that room. My wife would never allow me to combine the rooms.

I'm thinking about putting some of spectator chairs that slightly recline in the back row. That might allow me more room because they don't fully recline.

http://www.monarchbilliards.com/pooltables.php?model=Mann_Theater_Gaming_Chair&s ection=Game_Room_Furnishings

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 320
David, what is the ceiling hight? and is the room going to be that size or smaller? and are you going to have a projector? is this going to be a theater and listening room? and were is the door located?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1932
­
There's an old home theater formula that says the veiwing distance should not be less than 2X diagonal measurment of the screen. So 100" X 2 devided by 12 = 16.6 feet. Even with a 1080 projector, the room's too small for that much screen, imo.

Post Number: 4
The ceiling height will be at least 10' if not 12'. The room hasn't been converted yet but the game room next to it has a 12' ceiling.

I do plan on using a projector and the door will be on the side and will open towards the game room and not into the the media room. The room will only be used for theater and video games.

I have a friend that has a media room that I belive is about 16.5' deep with a 92" projector and it looks awesome. The width of his room is more like 25' so that helps out his sitting arrangement more.

I'll have to do more research on the formula for the distance.

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 323
david, if you have opions on were to put the door so it wont get in the way let us know, and is the ceiling going to be slanted? what kind of projector are you going to get? I think your room will work fine but if it was my room I wouldnt want anything to get in the way, I think placing the door between the front speaker and center of the room will allow for posible 7.1 in the future or multiple angles for the rears for a 5.1 system, and then I would consider building a cabnet on the game room side so all your equipment will be flush to the wall in the theater room and any cables, wiring or ad ons can be as simple as opening the cabnet door in the game room side,

running all wires threw the walls, this could be a nice clean and trick system,
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us