What's the best way to hook everything up?

Username: Ck32

Post Number: 1
I have an AOC Envision 32" LCD HDTV, RCA RT2770 HTIB,a Toshiba A2 HD DVD player, Xbox 360, and Motorola HD cable box (Comcast). I currently have all components connected to tv. The HD DVD (HDMI), Xbox 360 (component), and HD cable box (component). I have my tv hooked to the HTIB with the digital out. My question is, is this the best solution, and if not what would be the best?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1898
­
Cyle, if everything works, you're in good shape.

Does the TV's digital audio output send audio into the HTiB when you are viewing any source?

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. The TV seems to send audio to the HTiB through all sources but can only really be heard with the HD DVD player. With the Xbox and cable box the HTiB has to be maxed out and still can barely be heard. I am thinking to get an optical audio switch to run optical audio from the cable box and 360 to the HTiB since it only has one optical in.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1902
­
Cyle, it is important to know that component video is axactly that, video. Those red/green/blue connectors carry no audio, so separate audio connections must be made to the HTiB. If needed, optical (TOSLink) switches are cheap and will solve your connection problem.

I do find it interesting that the TV is passing audio from the HDMI input out through its digital audio out. On most displays this output works only when the internal ATSC tuner is used for OTA broadcast signals when hooked up to an antenna.
­

Post Number: 3
Yea, I understand that component is just video. I have the L/R (red/white) RCAs to the tv along wiht the component. The TV also has L/R (red/white) audio out and i have that into one of the analog inputs on the HTiB, and even tho i switch the input on the HTiB to the analog one it has to be maxed out and can stil barely be heard.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1904
­
I checked out the owners manual on the AOC and it's pretty much useless. I don't know why that analog out on the TV isn't working. When you try to get sound on the HTiB from the TV's analog out is the volume all the way down on the TV?

Anyway, hopefully you have enough digital audio inputs on the RCA because that's how all the components in this system should be hooked up.
­

Post Number: 4
Thanks, for all your help. I am not sure either. My assumtion was that it was the HTiB reciever because i used to have it hooked up before i got the the HD dvd player to a Magnavox MX891PRO and it worked flawlessly, but chose to get the RCA because of the digital inputs. Everythign i read up on it said it had 6 inputs and 3 being digital so I thought it was a good deal. The problem is that they call the USB input digital so it only has one digital coax and one optical. That is the reason for the need of the optical switch. I left the HD DVD player hooked to the tv and the digital out from that to the reciever and for have the Xbox 360 hooked up to the optical audio on the reciever,and just use TV speakers for cable (not my first choice but the best for now).

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1909
­
So hopefully the Motorola cable box has an optical out. If so, an optical switcher will solve your problem. That way you wouldn't have to rely on the TV's analog out for anything.

When you play the HD player, are you getting true 5.1 sound from the TV back to the receiver?
­

Post Number: 5
I am not sure if it is actually true 5.1. I sounds like it is. I tried to hook the HD player up to the reciver with the optical out but could not get any sound. My thought on that is that because it is already running digital sound and video through the HDMI and that is of higher quality, the HD player is choosing to use that for sound. i have checked the settigns and have not been able to come up with how to switch it.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1914
­
"I am not sure if it is actually true 5.1. I sounds like it is."

I would think even this relatively inexpensive receiver should have some sort of Dolby Digital indicator light on its panel, but maybe not.

"I tried to hook the HD player up to the reciver with the optical out but could not get any sound."

Something's wrong here. At least I hope so because I plan to buy an A2 soon. (I understand they're going to give them away by Xmas time.) Not everyone has the ability to extract audio from the HDMI out--including me--so I certainly hope the coax/optical outs work along with the HDMI. Otherwise I'm up sh!t creek.
­

Post Number: 6
To be honest the thought of the indicator light didnt even cross my mind. Don't i feel liek and idiot. And ur comment on giving them away is prety close to true, although i have not been able to find them as cheap as i got mine. I got it for $98 at Walmart's Secret IN=Store sale on the 2nd. My friend is a huge movie buff and didnt know about it so i have been tryign to find him one. On the settings for the player it has an option for digital audio out and gives thre options. Bitstream,PCM and Auto. Which one should i pick to get it through the optical audio? and thanks again for ur help.

Post Number: 7
Ok, As i skipped my classes today and decided to take an early thanksgiving break, I think i figured out the situation. When i set the HD player to PCM it shows a light that says 2 channel and does not sound like 5.1, but i can get it to push sound to the reciever. If i set it to bitstream the multi channel light comes on and the sound does not go through to the reciever with the optical. If i leave it as it is now(HDMI to TV,Digital coax out from tv and in to reciver) it appears to be 5.1. So i think i am going to leave it how it is and hook the 360 back up to the optical as that has brought a whole new expierence to my gaming.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us