Audio to TV then Receiver - will Dolby work?

Username: Gumbyruff

Post Number: 1
I have a new LCD, Sharp 42D64U.

My reciever is an older Kenwood with only one optical Digital in that does Dolby and DTS.

If I connect HDMI out of Cable DVR and HDMI out from DVD - both to the TV, and optical digital out to the receiver, will I get Dolby and/or DTS tranmitted to the receiver?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1900
­
The optical out on the TV is for use when the TV's internal digital tuner picks up a signal. Other sources going into the TV with digital audio bitstreams are not passed through this output. You'll have to hookup the digital outs from external devices directly into the Kenwood. Hopefully you will be able to use the Kenwood's optical in for one device, and the its coax in for the other.
­

Username: Gumbyruff

Post Number: 2
Well, I got mixed answers to this from places, so I tried it. HDMI from Cable DVR, and HDMI from DVD , both to TV; from TV to Amp I used Digital Optical. I have surround-sound and all.
works great.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1915
­
Thanks for the feedback Bob. I recently came across another person with the same experience, and this was even with an offbrand TV (AOC). So maybe something has changed concerning the digital audio outputs of recent model displays. Or maybe this audio 'turnaround' has always been a reality with HDMI use, I don't know. Anyway it's good news, especially for people using audio systems with limited digital audio inputs.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us