Some help needed please...

Username: Syxx_35

Post Number: 1
Myself and my wife have been working on an extra room in our house. What we have been trying to do is make it a more multi purpose room instead of a storage room. I have a old panasonic 32" TV that has great picture that I put in the room. I want to use this to watch TV when my wife has company over and to play xbox 360 on occasionally. The problem I have is, the speakers are shot. I looked on the back, and there are RCA inputs etc. for the TV, but no audio outs. I have a sound system, but it does not have a setup for the coaxial cable to go through it. I have Dish network, and the box is actually in the living room. I would like to avoid getting a receive, so I was hoping maybe there was something similar to a RF Modulater that I could use to get the setup working. I am so sick of haivng fuzz in my sound when trying to play Rainbow Six: Las Vegas.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sean

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 446
Your old Panasonic is on the way out, first the speakers then it will be the picture tube. Xbox will be fine on it for now but its time to start saving for a new TV . Vizio 32 inch lcd $599 is one option.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3607
LCDs don't compare to a good CRT for picture quality. If you like CRT, you'll hate LCD. Use the analog audio outputs on your Xbox to connect to your receiver. Don't buy that about the picture tube going next. I've got a 1993 Panasonic TV that still has excellent picture quality. My new top-of-the-line HDTV lasted less than 5 months before needing repaired, which 2 different places haven't been able to do yet. If it ain't broke, don't replace it.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1899
­
But David it is broke. If Sean has no or crappy audio it doesn't matter how good his picture is.

"so I was hoping maybe there was something similar to a RF Modulater that I could use to get the setup working"

What you need is a reverse RF modulator, and the easiest and cheapest way to achieve that is to use an old VCR. Use the VCR's audio line output to feed your sound system.
­

Gold Member

Post Number: 3609
You don't need a VCR. Connect the analog outputs to the receiver like I already said. DO NOT use the RF out unless there's no other choice. Video quality will be terrible compared to line outputs and the audio will be mono. You're the lost one John.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1901
­
Got that Sean? Do as David says and be happy.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3617
If you're using the RF out of the Xbox to the TV, the problem might not even be the TV. It could be either the RF modulator in the Xbox or the one in the TV. RF modulators often have problems. You could try the RCA audio outputs on the Xbox to the TV, it might solve the audio problem. If not, connect s-video or RCA to the TV and the audio RCAs to the receiver. However you do the audio, the video should be s-video or RCA, you'll get significantly better quality than using the RF out.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1903
­
David, it would appear that Sean is no longer with us, but even so I will for the sake of clarity try one more time.

Sometimes with these requests for help it is easy to misinterpret the original poster's question. Sometimes they leave important info out, or are vague about their problem making it necessary to "read between the lines" in order to get at the real question. I think Sean's post is better than most in this regard, but it still needs some interpretation leading to possible assumptions that could be wrong. I could be off base, but this is how I see the question at hand:

Sean's first important statement is "I want to use this to watch TV when my wife has company over and to play xbox 360 on occasionally." OK, so where is the "watch TV" signal coming from? Later he states "I have Dish network, and the box is actually in the living room. I would like to avoid getting a receive, so I was hoping maybe there was something similar to a RF Modulater that I could use to get the setup working." Ahh, so apparently Sean's running an output from his living room satbox into this old Panasonic in the other room. In the previous sentence he says "I have a sound system, but it does not have a setup for the coaxial cable to go through it." Ahhh, so he's running the RF out from the satbox into the extra room, otherwise why does he refer to an "RF Modulator" and "coaxial cable" in the above sentences?

OK, so if I'm right Sean's got the satbox's coax RF feed going into the TV and the xbox going into the TV's line inputs. Problem is he needs some way to feed audio from both into the external sound system. As you have suggested, the xbox is no problem---Sean simply diverts the xbox's audio line outputs into the stereo. But what to do about the satbox audio signal? As Sean says, the TV has no audio outputs and he can't somehow run the coax into the sound system to get audio into it.

And this is where my VCR suggestion comes in. The satbox's coax feed of course would be connected to the VCR's ant in, the VCR's ant out would go to the TV, the VCR would be turned on and tuned to the satbox's output frequency (channel 3 or 4), and the VCR's audio line outputs would be connected to the sound system. There would be no need to go through the VCR's tuner for video, provided the VCR's TV/VCR switch is turned to "TV", thus bypassing the VCR's tuner with the video signal going straight through to the TV untouched. Meanwhile, the VCR's audio line outputs would still actively feed the TV audio signal to Sean's sound system.

Make sense?
­

Username: Syxx_35

Post Number: 2
I am still here, been busy the last few days. The option that is set up where the entire post is sent to my email has been great for me to read.

1. I am not using any type of RF modulators etc. right now. My cable coax is sent from my Dish Network box which is located in the living room. The coax I just twist onto the Ant. feed of the TV. My Xbox is hooked up the RCA inputs that are on the back of the TV.

2. The speakers have only recently been an issue, I am no expert, but from previous history I would say they are blown.

I was able to get a VCR/DVD player from my parents yesterday. I will be attempting tonight to get it to work.

Wish me luck.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1912
­
Just follow the procedure in the last paragraph in my last post above.

Good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us