System Setup Advice

Username: Madmau

Post Number: 1
I just purchased a DVD Recorder, primarily to archive shows from my DVR and need some advice on adding it to my existing system.

My Components:

TV - Panasonic 50PX60U
Satellite - Dish DVR 522
DVD Recorder - Samsung AR650
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR500

I also have a 5 disc CD changer in the mix, which should present no problems since it connects to the receiver with it's own dedicated inputs.

I do not receive HD over the satellite, but I do have an OTA hooked up directly to the TV to pick up the local HD broadcasts.

I'd like to be able to record OTA broadcasts to the DVD Recorder and also be able to view them live on the TV. I also want to be able to record from the Dish DVR to the DVD Recorder.

And of course sound feeds from all devices into my Onkyo receiver in order to get Dolby and DTS, where appropriate.

The only HDMI cable connection possible is from the Samsung AR650 (DVD Recorder), which I would also like to utilize in order to upconvert the DVD signal. (although that may or may not improve my picture quality)

Also, I wonder if routing the satellite signal (480i) through the DVD Recorder will upconvert it on the way to the TV???

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1877
­
"I do have an OTA hooked up directly to the TV"

Larry, by "OTA" I assume you mean an antenna. That antenna should be hooked up to the 650's antenna input. The 650's antenna out should go to the TV's antenna input.

HDMI from the 650 to the TV.

Satellite box's S-video and R/L analog audio outputs to the 650's inputs.

Either coax or optical digital audio from the 650 to the Onkyo. You should also hookup the 650's analog R/L audio outs to the Onkyo. Not all recording you will do will be in Dolby Digital.

It is important to note here that the Samsing 650's ATSC tuner is not capable of delivering a true HD signal. What you see from its HDMI output on OTA broadcasts is 480p upconverted to 1080i. The 650 should pass the antenna signal through to the TV unchanged when the 650 is not powered up, which means you should still see HD broadcasts when you're using the Panasonic's tuner. What I can't say is whether the Samsung will send the antenna signal through that way when you are actually recording. In other words, you may not see true HD when you are recording an OTA signal. Obviously your recording will not playback in HD either.
­

Post Number: 2
John, Thanks for the quick reply and helpful answer.

Yes, OTA is my over the air antenna.

I played with this setup for several hours last night and I pretty much have it hooked up the way you outline, except that I did have to run an optical audio line from the TV to the Receiver in order to hear the HD over the air broadcast coming straight from the antenna. The sound was originally piping through without this hookup, but then disappeared and I couldn't get it back, thus the extra wire.

I haven't run R/L analog audio outputs from the 650 to the Onkyo inputs yet. I'll do that tonight. Thanks.

Yes, the 650 does pass the HD antenna signal through to TV with no problem (as long as I have the TV switched to the antenna input) and it doesn't seem to matter if the 650 is powered up or not. When I switch the TV to the HDMI input, it shows the feed to be coming in at 480p, 720p or 1080i (whichever I have turned on), but it's obviously not true HD, but a 480p signal upconverted. (still looks much better than regular analog over the air broadcast though)

So far I really like this new Samsung DVR, I've been able to record OTA signals, satellite signals and previously recorded DVR signals. All are recorded in 480p and upconverted, but they look very close to DVD quality on the SP setting. And the 650 does upconvert the 480i signal coming in from the satellite box to 480p (even when not recording) which definitely provides a better picture than I had without the 650 in the chain. I did have some trouble getting the 650 to memorize my OTA digital channels, but after 3 or 4 trys, they finally stuck.

Now the learning curve switches to figuring out how to do the various recordings, edit them, etc. and how to use the EPG function for OTA signals and how to hook up the IR remote for the satellite box. Our work never ends!

Thanks again for your help!!!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1878
­
"Also, I wonder if routing the satellite signal (480i) through the DVD Recorder will upconvert it on the way to the TV???"

I am pretty sure this unit upconverts all signals to 1080i in its HDMI output. Whether you will actually see any PQ improvement is questionable. I do know the best you will see on the Samsung's component output is 480p.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1879
­
Sorry Larry our posts crossed. So the Samsung's HDMI out doesn't upconvert everything to 1080i.

Sounds like you're having fun with a decent unit that costs no more than a good VCR did a few years ago.

Post Number: 3
I think you're right John, the 650 does appear to upconvert all outputs to 1080i, but I think it must first downconvert (is that a word?) any HD signal to 480p and then upconvert it back to 1080i which isn't really like seeing a 1080i signal. At least it doesn't seem to look as sharp.

Oh and one other thing to note for anyone interested in the Samsung AR650. The tuner really seems to lock in on the HD OTA signals. When my antenna was connected directly to the TV it would lose strength and pixelate occassionaly. Now that rarely seems to happen, the tuner in the 650 really grabs on to the signal and keeps the image sharp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us