Need help matching Yamaha receiver

Username: Amlit

Post Number: 1
I have a 2 yr old Yamaha HTR5830 5.1 receiver capable of 550 watts.
I also have 10 yr old Yamaha tower speakers NS675, capable of handling up to 140 Watts each(8 ohms).
I would like to try to keep the old Yamaha speakers as part of the surround, maybe even use them as the main speakers.
I will be needing a ctr speaker and a subwoofer(I like the deep base in surround systems).
I am wondering if each of the 5 channels pump out equally...ie:up to 110watts each? or do I need more powerfull speakers on the main front speakers and less capable speakers for the surrounds?
I don't know anything about these things but can appreciate good sound, I think!
I also have 2 old Pioneer floor speakers that were very good quality in their day (80's), that I'm thinking of using for the surrounds (for now).
Should I be trying to match up the main Yamaha pieces with more Yamaha pieces(subwoofer and ctr) ?
I'm on a budget and would be willing to spend another $700 on the subwoofer and centre speaker.

Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 381
Yahama HT receivers are notorious for overblowing their specs. I seriously doubt that the Yamaha puts out 550 watts continuous across all five channels. That being said, it's not a bad piece of gear. I would ditch the Yamaha speakers. I my experience (oddly enough) Yamaha speakers sound brutal when paired with Yamaha receivers. I find the warm, laid back sound of PSB pairs well with Yamaha. It's also important for the center channel to match well with the fronts.

Post Number: 2
Hmmm,
OK then,here is another option I don't know if I should consider:
a sales rep at Future shop was suggesting I go with a Bose speaker set. It came with the 5 speakers and a subwoofer for $899. He claims the quality will blow my socks off...for the price.
Any opinions on that would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 383
Don't do it.

Post Number: 3
OK then,

I'm looking for some suggestions to get something that sounds reasonable, but am hesitant to make a move because I just don't know enough about this stuff....and don't want to waste money.

Post Number: 4
David,

I noticed you too are from Ottawa. Where would I find PSB speakers in town. I'm out near Scotiabank place but travel through the city regularly.

Silver Member

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 384
Cool... there seems to be a few of us on here.

There's a place out on Merivale south of Baseline (I can't remember the name - I don't get out to the westend much anymore). They sell PSB.

Another option is to check out Paradigm, very comparable to PSB. I always recommend StereoPlus here in Orleans, worth the drive. They've treated me very well.

And actually the Energy line they carry at FS is not bad at all. I'd buy that over Bose in a second.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us