Question regarding HK DPR 2005

Username: Arbitrage

Post Number: 1
Hello,
I just purchased a new HK DPR 2005 receiver and was setting it up and ran into a couple of problems and was hoping someone here could help me.

I have a Sony TV, a Dish TV box, a VCR, and an XboX.

1). I have red/white and S-video cables running from the TV to the receiver.

2). I have red/white and S-video cables running from the Dish box to the receiver, so the TV works fine with the Dish.

The problem...
1). I have connected red/white/yellow from the xbox and vcr to different slots in the back of the receiver. DVD and Video 3 respectively, and I get sound but no picture.

Does anyone know what is going on? I have tried different slots and read through different books/manuals/websites and nothing seems to help. This is the first place I have posted so I hope someone can help me.
Thanks,
Jonathan

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 432
You are running S-video to the TV from the receiver. Then you need to hook up the DVD with S-video to the receiver. Unless this receiver converts Composite video (yellow) to S-video you will get no picture unless you use S-video all around. Your VCR does not have S-video so you can run the yellow wire directly to a differnt input on the TV and change to that input for the VCR.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1860
­
Good call Casey. Yes the days when receivers upconvert all video to the next output up may be with us now, but it was not the case two years ago. As the 2005's manual states on page 8:

Note that if both standard composite and S-Video sources are used, you must make connections from both Video Monitor Jacks to your display. In addition, if component video sources are used, you must connect the Component Video Outputs.

Both "video monitor jacks" means composite and S-video.

You will have to change inputs on the TV as well as the receiver for the system to work from all sources. So much for the concept of the AVR being the complete "hub" of a compicated AV system.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us