Config Help : Home Theatre with Subwoofer

Username: Aquasandhu

Post Number: 1
I have JBL PT-800 (4 speakers) and PC-600 as centre channel
I also purchased Denon AVR 4308
I have no money left for sometime to spend on subs, so till I buy my sub what should be the config of my home theatre in terms of:

Speakers: Set to small/Large
Sub: ON/Off
Crossover freq: ?

How much of bass will I really miss since all four surrond speakers have a freq response range starting from 80hz all the way up.

Which mode should I use 5.1 or 7.1, since I only have 5 speakers (front (L+R), Back (L+R) and centre. But the Denon manual says in 5.1 mode it will only support the front (L+R) and Surrond (L+R) and I dont have any place in my room to give speakers on the side.

Please suggest

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1851
­
4308? PT-800?? Dude no wonder you're out of money.

For now set all speakers to large. Sub OFF. The crossover frequency then becomes a non-issue.

Yes you will miss the really deep bass. You will want to get a sub in the future. But your system is going to be good as is.

You must be reading the manual wrong about 5.1 center operation.
­

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 282
wow lots of money

Username: Chiron

Revelstoke, BC Canada

Post Number: 1
I have an Acer LCD TV, AT3720A and I am trying to connect to my Sony Multi Channel AV Receiver STR-DG510 for surround sound but no luck. Seems like it should be pretty straight forward, I think there is a somewhere on the TV to change the TV from it's own speakers to the surround. Please help. Also I have the surround set up so I can listen to my MP3 player and FM radio but can't get it to work for my TV. Please help!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1853
­
Corinna, this site could almost hire a person just to answer the single most asked A/V question. I get sound from everything on my surround system, but not from TV. Just how the question is framed reveals a fundamental conceptual flaw in how to solve the problem.

Your post is a perfect example. (At least you provided model numbers--some people don't do that, which makes answering the question even more difficult.) People think that, since the TV speakers work, then the TV must somehow send the audio to the external sound system. Sometimes that is the last resort. But you better hope there's another answer here because your TV does not have audio output jacks on it.

What I'm getting at here is that you left out the most important piece of information, and that is how are you getting that TV signal in the first place? Is it from an ordinary antenna, cable (with or without cable box), or a satellite system? Are you receiving any HD signals, and if so, how?
­

Revelstoke, BC Canada

Post Number: 2
OK, The TV signal is cable without box. So what does that tell me? or you?
Thanks

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1854
­
"OK, The TV signal is cable without box. So what does that tell me? or you?"

You have this problem, as I said before, because the TV has no audio output. How is the Sony going to get the TV audio? Normally with a cable box (or satellite receiver) you use the audio out from those.

If you have an old VCR around you could hook it up and use the tuner in that (and its line outputs for audio) with the cable going through it. You could also buy yourself a DVD recorder with a built-in tuner and use it the same way. Obviously you can also upgrade your cable service to include a set top box that has audio out on it.
­

Revelstoke, BC Canada

Post Number: 3
John,
I guess I'll be buying a dvd player
thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us