'surround' - a project for someone up to the challenge

Username: David2005

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I am a student in New Zealand. I have just bought an amp and some speakers. When I bought the amp, it was pretty much on a whim and I have since realised that everything is a lot more complex than I originally though.
* The speakers are 2 old Technics 3-way speakers that are rated at 100w. I also have other smaller speakers floating around.
* The amp is a Sony A/V control centre. 70w per channel, and 20w in surround (which is Dolby Pro Logic).
* I have a HP Entertainment laptop with a headphone jack and a SPDIF jack (and S-video out). If I need to, I'll probably buy a TV but if I can help it I don't want to but a DVD player.
I realise now that Dolby Pro Logic isn't 'surround' as such but I think my computer can decode Dolby Digital (play it out the SPDIF? I don't know). Is there a way I can connect My computer to the amp and have it play the surround sounds discretely through the speakers or what is the best surround experience I can get from this setup?

Looking forward to a reply.

David

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1841
­
David, the easiest way to solve your problem is to buy a digital receiver that supports Dolby Digital. Failing that, you could use your old analog Pro Logic receiver with a feed from the computer's headphone jack. With a simple adaptor such as this you feed the stereo signal into the Sony. The receiver will output analog matrixed Pro Logic surround sound to the speakers. Of course it will not be discreet multi-channel audio, but it won't be too bad---as long as you can tame the center channel sufficiently.
­

Username: David2005

Post Number: 2
OK, thanks for that John. What's the story with the SPDIF jack, can I use it?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1842
­
"What's the story with the SPDIF jack, can I use it?"

The "D" in SPDIF is "Digital", and with an analog(ue) control center, you cannot use that output without a suitable digital®analog converter. That is what a Dolby Digital compatible receiver does very economically compared to a stand-alone DD®6 channel analog converter, which are not common.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us