Just back from Best Buy Definitive Technology

Username: Evo8asti

Post Number: 1
Alright I need some input on the surround set up I just purchased. To be honest im completely clueless to whats good and not. The salesman I was working with seemed very noligable about what he was selling and came off as an honest guy. Anyways what do you guys think of this set up and did I pay to much?

Yamaha RX-v661 Reciever $432
2 Mythos Four Floorstanding Tower Loudspeakers $722
1 Mythos Seven Center Channel Loudspeaker $315
2 ProMonitor 800 (for the rears) $226
1 ProSub 800 $360

Total $2,055

I listened to the set up at Best Buy and it sounded amazing but I think my buddies $800 set up sounds great! LoL Thanks in advance for the info. Ill keep you guys posted on how I feel about it once its all set up.

Username: Jamaces

Post Number: 3
I personally only go by sound, and i dont really trust east built items.

My own system, for the speakers alone were roughyl $2500 with no sub ( i have one from my previous home theater in a box) they are made by Totem Accoustic hand made in montreal, components appear to be made in Germany.

Still no clue what to do about a reciever(again just using from the old theater in a box).
I would personally never by at a big box store, i only shop at local audio stores.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 387
James, get a receiver dude.lol. Ive heard Totem's on Arcam and NAD, both sounded great with them.

Kevin, as long as your happy with the way it sounds, than it doesnt matter how much you spent.

Silver Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 116
The time to seek advice is before you plunk down your money.

Username: Sahlomonic

Post Number: 5
+1 for the advice. Demo as many setups as you can and take note of the equipment being used. Def Tech's are certainly not a bad product, but some people just can't get into them. I personally would have picked a better sub like a good Velodyne, but if it sounds good to you, then that's all that matters. Also, take what the Best Buy salespeople say with a grain of salt. You're better off going to a smaller company that specializes in HT; they have loads of knowledge about their products.

James, "big box" stores like Best Buy and Circuit City sell Denon receivers (although they sell opposite lineups), and that would be a good place to start. Or Onkyo/Integra. The new Onkyo 605 seems like the receiver that can't be beat for the price. Under $500 for the new HD audio formats, AND 1080P switching? A similarly spec'd Denon would cost twice that.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us