Need help deciding what to get for home theater!

Username: Jwardelt

Post Number: 1
hello all!
i am very new to the whole home theater system 'stuff'! i recently bought a 32" samsung lcd hdtv 7000:1 contrast 720p, etc. i had an LG 5.1 5 disc changer w/ speakers/sub. i hooked that up to my tv w/ an hdmi cable. worked great. now the LG has taken a crap on me. and i am gettin basic cable this week, so here's the deal, where should i go with buying a new system?
i want to watch basic cable using my surround speakers. will i be able to run the basic cable through the dvd home theater surround speakers or do i have to go directly to the tv with it? what type of input is required for the basic cable? or am i better off getting a reciever/speakers? can i run basic cable through that? this is all very confusing to me, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 386
If you have a cable box both can be run for surround sound. Find a local home theater/audio shop near you, or a few. Go visit them, see what they have to offer. Listen to some stuff, see what you like the sound of. Stay away from the box stores. Go to a proper dealer.

Username: Jmart

Post Number: 1
HI, Everyone,
My old Panasonic 5.1 passed on. I want to upgrade to 7.1, but if I upgrade for more than $1,000 I'll be watching all by myself.
I've decided that Onkyo is as good a bang for the buck as any. I'm between the 990THX, which puts out 130w per channel, but has no HDMI ins or outs, and the 907 ( soon to be 908 ) model, which has these connections but puts out only 85-90w.
My present hook-up ( I have a Sony proj HI-Def TV ) has DVI from Cable box to TV, Svid out from DVD/receiver ( combined into one unit ) to the TV, and optical connect from cable box to DVD/receiver.
So, how important are these HDMI connections? If I opt for the 990, will I regret not having them down the road?
For what its worth, I watch more sports and HI-Def TV than I do movies. I have a Sony juke box hooked into the receiver with regular audio jacks, when the TV's not on the juke box usually is.
Also, I'll now need to connect the new receiver to the new DVD player.
Appreciate any advice on which way to go.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us