Placement of plasma - too high?

Username: Liamfm

Post Number: 3
Hi all,
We just moved into our new house. The only logical place for the TV right now is above the gas fireplace. However, I'm not sure if this will be too high. The top of the fireplace is 52" high and the 42" plasma would be 76" to the top. The couch is 8' away and the chair is 9' away from the center of the bottom of the fireplace.

I put an old TV up there last night, and I don't have to strain my neck to look up at it, but I do have to have my eyes looking up.

Any thoughts? I wanted to order my plasma stand if this is the way I should go.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1796
­
I've never been crazy about the idea. Wiring the display--including power of course--is a pain. But a lot of people have done it and are happy.

See

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=2&post=1247413#POST1247413
­

Username: Liamfm

Post Number: 4
Thanks John,
I'm not crazy about it either, but short of a motorized cabinate I can't think of any other options. On one long wall I've got nothing (couch), on the other long wall I've got a large window and the fireplace in the corner. On the short wall I've got a window and the other side of the fireplace. The final short wall is very far away, through some stairs, and putting anything on the wall there would take away from the fireplace.

I'm researching plasma lifts though - I could build a cabinate with a lift in it and put it in front of the large window. Then with the screen down I wouldn't be blocking the window at all. Not sure what it would cost to build the furniture though - probably a lot.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 401
I don't understand the why people make the fireplace the main focal point of a room. How much do you use a fireplace? 3 months 4 at the most while the TV is on 12 month a year 6 or 7 days a week. The TV should be considered before the firplace. The short wall is the best place for a Home Theater setup.

Username: Snowballinguam

Post Number: 3
Liam... the angle you're looking up at definitely is an issue. Although it's not going to affect how well you can physically see the picture (since it's a plasma), it is a strain on the neck. Above the fireplace, with a large TV, AND after adding a stand on top of that, you're looking at over a 40 degree angle to be able to see the top half of the TV from 8' away. It's probably not the way you want to relax. I have to agree with Casey... if you watch a lot of TV, you have to be comfortable watching it, and you should prioritize that above how much it will detract from the fireplace. Besides, a flat panel TV won't detract too much from the surrounding walls.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 200
The reality is that many homes are designed with excellent HT potential. The unfortunate problem is that many home buyers neglect to consider HT applications until they've bought something inappropriate.

With that said, a good theater can be made from any room. Of course, your wife might not agree with the design decisions, but that's besides the point.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us