Seeking review of Onkyo HT-S767C

Anonymous
Hi All,
I have a room that is 19 X 17 and is around 20 ft tall.
Have decided to buy the Onkyo HT-S767C and was wondering how people on this forum found it to be. Would really appreciate your help. Will connect a DVD player and a CD player to it. Can i also connect a VCR to the receiver by any chance. Regards

Scott
The 767 is the same as the 760 but the 767 inlcudes a dvd player. I'm also interested in this system and would appreciate any comments.

The 760 can be purchased at Circuit City for around $500.

My question is, Is the DVD with the 767 worth the extra $279 or would a cheaper player work ok?

Anonymous
If you have a DVI input on your TV, I would buy the new DVD players with DVI (e.g., Bravo D1 or Samsung HD 931).

Anonymous
Can someone explain what a DVI input is? I'm a newbie considering the 767 and will also be buying a new TV. Thanks.

G-Man
I would never buy a receiver with a dvd attached. If one breaks you are stuck. There are plenty of good progressive scan dvd/cd players to be had under $300, so why shoehorn yourself into the one a company decides to give you? You may want to upgrade either your receiver or dvd player at some point--another reason not to get them in one unit.

G-Man
The DVI interface is used on data projectors, plasma displays, digital TVs (DTVs) and set-top boxes. DVI includes HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) which is an encryption method for safeguarding copyrighted material.

If you are buying a new tv without a DVI and that doesn't have a DVI input you may be out of luck for HDTV set top boxes. Even if you can connect a set top box, a DVI input may eventually be necessary when the video manufacturers and programmers get their act together and decide upon an encrypted technology for safeguarding their material. That is SONY's and other program suppliers biggest fear--digital copying. If you don't have DVI you may never be able to receive what is ultimately decided on in the future as the method for sending material.

But if you plan on upgrading again within 5 years you may be able to get away without a DVI as "us" consumers never know what the powers that be may decide upon. It is always a crap shoot. DVI just may protect you from that crap shoot.

Anonymous
Scott,

I purchased the 760 I few weeks ago for $475, and since my TV is a Toshiba with component, I also picked up the Toshiba SD-2900 for $79.00.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us