Hooking up new tv to older receiver

Username: Master_copy

Post Number: 1
I have a new 37" Magnavox LCD HDTV (37MF231D), a Motorola Digital DVR (QIP6400) and an RCA DVD receiver that also has surround sound and radio tuner (RTD218). I am not able to get surround sound when watching the tv, however the surround sound works when I watch dvd's, listen to cd's and the radio. I have an HDMI cable going from the tv to the DVR but am not sure what I am doing wrong with the rest of it since it works in certain applications. Could it be a simple setting on my tv-I have read through the manual and cannot find anything to address my problem, or is it something else perhaps with my cable connections? Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 403
The HDMI to the TV only sends sound and picture to the TV, not the TV sending sound and picture to the receiver. You need to send a digital connection from the Motorola to the receiver.

Username: Master_copy

Post Number: 2
Thanks, for your help. What type of cable would I need for the digital connection? I have cables with red, white, yellow, green and blue ends-would any of these work?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 405
None of the cable you have will work for a digital connection. You will need either a Coaxial Digital cable (RCA) or an Optical cable. Red ,white (audio) and yellow (video) are composite anolog RCA connections, the red,blue and green are component video wires (RCA) for HDTV you also need red and white for audio with these cables.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us