Need help choosing right receiver

Username: Ttsto

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I need some advice to choose a receiver for my surround music + movies set-up

I will have Kef iQ speakers and I am in the difficult position to choose between Nad T754 and Harman Kardon AVR 645.

Pros for Nad are the very musical feeling, but as Cons it does not have any HDMI feature

I never demo HK, because there is no local dealer here, but it was recommended also as good option for music and film. The HK have HDMI with audio processing, but... I liked the sound of Nad...

Is the lack of HDMI a big loss?

PCM via HDMI will sound better than analog?

Pls some advices

10q

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 297
NAD makes great stuff but it seems the higher end companies like NAD, Rotel, Anthem and others are dragging their feet on new features like HDMI 1.3a, lossless HD audio and some of the cool features now being released.

If I were spending hundreds, even thousands of dollars on a new receiver, I would want the latest and greatest support for these features. Onkyo, Integra, and Denon have just announced or already released receivers with these attributes. Some homework should land you an AV receiver with all of these features. If you need some help, let me know and I will send you some artices I have seen.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Post Number: 183
Titi- what is your DVD player? If it has the 5.1ch outputs you can use that with the NAD for the Lossless HD audio. The NAD will sound much better than that H/K, but it is up to you if you need the HDMI. In a few months when there is an HDMI 1.3b or something like that, then what?lol. The higher end AUDIO companies are just that, audio companies. They believe in keeping the audio separate from the video if possible. Unfortunately like Westcott said, you tend to lose HDMI connectivity. How big is your tv??? Is it 1080P(marketing scam). Is is it 100 inches? Unless your tv falls into any of these categories your never going to tell the difference between HDMI and Component anyway. If I had to downgrade my audio experience to an Onkyo, I would bust out my credit card and get a NAD Masters Series or something like that.LOL Just my opinion.*Jokes*

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 2
I will have Marantz DV6001, yes will have analog output
My TV will be most probably Pioneer plasma 720p

I have to say that I am more interested in music than movies, however DVD-A, SACD and concerts on DVD made me look more into surround option.

I noticed that HDMI is far from being a mature technology, with upgrades from year to year.

I do not have the necessary knowledge, and limited possiblity to test, this is why I try to maximize the benefit of learning from others.

So, analog connection will not limit quality on SACD and DVD-A, for example?
The component video is much lower quality than HDMI?

I believe that the player is a good, musical one...

Honestly, I will trade connectivity to musicality, if it is just this...

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 299
HDMI is a real pain the back side but is something that should be seriously considered. Right now, anlaog connections are allowed for the passing of HD digital audio and video signals but this may not be true forever. Copy protection is a real concern of content providers and the HDCP handshake via HDMI will be necessary to insure future HD audio and video support. No gurantees for analog and it is something content providers are threatening to end.

Here is a link for DVD players to consider. The Oppo Digital 981HD is a great, all around universal player and Denon models are also known for their audio and video capabilities, maybe even better at audio.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
Titi, Westcott is right. Looks like HDMI is hear to stay, but it is a pain. What I do is use the HDMI straight to the TV just for video, and keep the audio seperate, unfortunately this may be a problem with future dvd players and such.The problem is until the high end audio companies see a straight final standard from HDMI, your won't see it on their receivers. To answer your question if you will be able to tell the difference between HDMI and Component on a 720p Plasma? Absolutely Not. You can get a NAD with HDMI, but your will have to go up to the Masters Series Pre/Pro and that is going to run you around 6 grand.lol. Denon makes some good sounding products with all the bells and whistles and I see Yamaha is really pushing the market again with their newer models in the RXV series, which also have all the new fun connections. Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 194
BUT!! If your going to be into 2 channel audio a lot....and processing 2 channel audio into a 5.1 configuration. You may want to go NAD or Rotel. IMO.

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 3
Nick, Westcott

Thanks for the advices

I think I will choose Nad. Possible in near future to add a power amp for the front speakers, than maybe also for the other ones, and maybe after several years replace the receiver with a pre/pro with HDMI

I found out that Nad is preparing a pre/pro T175 with HDMI 1.3, that will be more affordable, but I will wait couple of years until all the bugs will be solved.

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 4
Nick, one more question...

You mentioned you have the DVD directly connected to TV via HDMI...what about OSD from receiver, is it needed when you have to change some settings, or...how it works, you change inputs from TV remote?

Maybe it is a stupid question, but I never owned such set-up, it is my first one

Silver Member

Post Number: 195
Titi- On the NAD there is a Monitor out connection that is just a basic Composite(RCA) video out. Most basic functions can be changed on the receiver itself or by using the remote control. But for in depth setup, you just connect it to your tv with a RCA cable and hit any button on the remote and the menu pops up. By the way I think you made the right choice in a receiver. By the time you are ready to upgrade to a full 1080p projector with a 120 inch screen, all High end audio products will have HDMI, and hopefully by then HDMI will have a standard. By what it sounds like, your won't have a need for HDMI for a while yet. Enjoy the great sound quality of NAD.Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 196
Oh, I added the NAD C272 power amp to my large front speakers. WOW!!! Best upgrade I have ever done. The T754 should have plenty of power for the center and Rears.

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 5
Nick, what are the odds... I have in mind the same upgrade, and maybe I will do it from the beginning.

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 6
Nick, question about the player, what are you using?
I mentioned Marantz DV6001 because I consider it a good universal player, also upscaling, and not so expensive.
Oppo is not available here and also cannot buy from Amazon.
On Denon I fear a lack of musicality, I know they are really good on video and movies sound.

Silver Member

Post Number: 198
I have two DVD players. The NAD T534 (awesome picture and audio, probably one of the best DVD players I have heard for 2 channel audio) And I have the Sony BDP-S1 Blu-Ray player. Ive been watching a lot of blu-ray. The blu-ray player is suppose to be upconverting where the NAD is not. But the picture quality on standard dvd is the same on both. Of course the blu-ray movies are insane.lol.A clear difference. The Marantz is a good player, but it wont top a good NAD for two channel audio. I recently purchased the entry level NAD cd player which helped for music. But I still keep the NAD dvd player hooked up with a digital Coax connection for movies and a RCA cable for some two channel audio from some audio DVD's I have. Great sound. Also, I had a 500 dollar Upconverting LG with DVD-Audio before I got the NAD. The NAD absolutely distroyed the LG when it came to audio and black levels in the picture. Cheers.

Username: Db_audiofile

La habra, Ca Usa

TITI,
Off the record. I am in the Cable BUSINESS. Enough said! Based on 720P you are not going to lose. HDMI is HERE and it is based on content protection. The bright side (no pun intended) HDMI is wonderful for Audio. I have recently listened to a Denon playing through Martin Logan in walls, WOW! Granted I own Martin Logan Accent I's. The Denon sounded prety good. The HDMI is a ten thousand dollar lincence fee. Most high end companies wait until a larger market share be for they make the switch.

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 7
I read that HDMI supports supports up to 24bit/192Khz, however, if the response range of the receiver is 10Hz-20Khz, then where is the advantage? Is there audible difference between 24/96 on coax or analog and 24/192 on HDMI?

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 13
Titi,
You can not here digital. It must be put some form of analog. The sound difference is often the noise that goes along for the ride. cables and connectors have thier own acoustic properties. What most people hear is that acoustic property. I am in the cable business and I will be honest about what cables can do. If you do not hear a difference there isn't one. If you do not see a difference there isn't one. If you have the time listen to what your choices are. Buy a couple of different cables and try them out. I would like to hear what you think and feel.
your friend,
db

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 8
Don

You're right. Should I understand that HDMI cable is better in transporting digital info not altered by distorsions that are more likely to happen in coax or optical cable? Or a good coax and analogue cable may deliver same pleasure to my ears?

For the tests, there will be a while, I will probably order the full set-up in september and will take more or less one month to receive it. The system is for my new apartment where I hope I will be able to move in October (still in construction)

Anyway, I enjoy searching for the right components maybe as much as I will enjoy the final product.
It is great searching for the right people to give good advices, and here I found some, I am very glad about it.

Regards, Titi

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 14
Titi,
Thanks for the support.
The difference between XBR5 / 4.
http://www.quantumdata.com/pdf/CEC_White_Paper.pdf
This an CEC ( consumer electronic controler) this allows one remote to control all of your HDMI gear. There is a 300 dollar hit for this feature. ck out the website for a full discription. other screens have this feature, Samsung and maybe Sharp.
As far as cable, optical is the best because it is light. as long as the wire in not crimped somewhere, nothing is as pure.
your friend,
Db

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
http://www.electronichouse.com/article/lend_nad_your_keen_ear_four_music_first_r eceivers_on_the_way/C157

NAD is adding HDMI and Ipod connections. Cheers.

Bronze Member

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 11
Thanks Nick

I will look for the new generation of receivers and players with HDMI 1.3, it comes quite good since I am delayed with my new apartment, I will move probably in December instead of October, so I will delay the purchase to November.

Probably since then the new receiver T765 and universal player T535 should be available also here. I still consider adding the power C272 to the set-up, even if the T765 will have bi-amping capability. Do you think it will worth (C272 vs bi-amping)?

Cheers

Titi

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 45
Do the powere upgrade on the Nad. You will love it!!
your friend,
Db

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
Titi- I would still consider the C272. If not right away, down the road. You will love it. Also it looks like the new NAD line is different in power ratings. To get the same power as the T763 you now have to go up to the T785. The T765 is 70 X 7 I think. So the C272 will defenetly come in handy. Cheers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
T785 is 110 X 7 T775 looks like it may be 80 X 7. I would go T765, and run the C272 to your mains. 70 X 7 of NAD power will be plenty for the center and rears IMO.

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 189
Nick, in your post 183 you say NAD will sound much better that H/K, I have auditioned NAD on several speaker systems, ERA surround system with NAD I remember well, I have to say NAD make some very good sounding and looking stuff and with the ERA speaker system wow nice system, and NAD was one of my first picks, to bad they didnt have a H/K to compare on the same systems, but if you were blind folded I dont think you would be saying one sounds better than the other, you might say one sounds different than the other, but they booth sound really good, who knows you might be picking the H/K for somethings and NAD for others, I think there both above average and you cant really go rong on picking one or the other

Bronze Member

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 12
Hi Angelo

Would you say that Nad and HK are both quality stuff in surround, stereo or both?
I never auditioned HK due to lack of distributors here, but it was recommended to me as a top choice, together with Nad, of course.

I auditioned Nad and I was impressed mostly by the excelent response to stereo sound, even coming from a DVD player instead of dedicated CD player.

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 46
Titi,
I have heard both played through Martin Logan In walls. The nad is warmer and a little sweeter. The Logan In walls are 2k a pair. Still either are a good choice. Watch to make sure you get the imputs that you need.
your friend,
Db

Silver Member

Post Number: 298
IMO the NAD sounds better than H/K. This is what sounds better to MY ears. My friend who still owns his H/K feels the same way. This is also, just what sounds better to his ears. Some may not feel that way. Both make very nice sounding gear. For surround sound, its going to be close, for two channel audio, I feel the NAD is the superior.

Silver Member

Post Number: 190
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/14797.html https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/140611.html these threads are a little old NAD has had issues that are supposed to be fixed, when I got my 645 repair issues were on the line as well, what I found funny is that no matter how bad the repair issue were on the H/K they all were very impressed with the sound, there are plenty of debates out there, and Im not saying H/K is better for this or that, but I will say that Im very happy with my H/K 645, DB and Nick I questin, if your going to compare tell us that you have set the recievers side by side and compareable models at the same date, same speakers, same room, and receivers set on same modes and setups, and make sure the EzSET EQ on the H/K is turned OFF, Nick it is possible that 2 channel on the NAD might sound better, I really dont like it on the H/K, but I really dont like it on any AVR, thats what 2 channel setups are for, I listen to 5 channel stereo with a little bump up in the rears when I listen to two channel stereo IN, and it sound very good, when listening to pink floyd's, Alan's psychedelic breakfast in this mode it almost sounds 5.1, when I listen to music I am very crittacle, I listen mostly to B tribe, Steely dan, pink floyd, led zep, punk rock and so on, I have two 5.1 cd's dark side and Goucho and WOW is all I have to say, DB H/Ks's are known for sounding a tutch warm and from my experience very sweet and detailed with wharfedales, and if you could listen to my system I think you would like it very much, the H/K 645 is a high current amp so its powerful fast and plenty of power reserve, and once again I am very critical on movies, I want to be inside the movie like I am there and take me out of reality and the H/K do's its part https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/system-showcase/336284.html but as far as what one is better for all around, I dont know, some times even in the perfect compare enviroments your ears and brain can play tricks on you, I remember years ago I was auditioning speakers I remember a set of floor standing KEF speakers that me and my freind could not believe how flat and dull they sounded, but I was green back then, maybe they had them in the rong mode or just setup rong or maybe they were brand new and not broke in yet, Im looking at your speakers right now, WOW they look sweet in black and they deserve a reciever or separates to match there quality, which ones are you getting or have, anything over the iQ7 floor's and you might want to look at a big o ADCOM or something, recievers change so much over time, in the future I will most likely go for separates

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 47
Angelo,
In the old days, we did some problems with the NAD line and as a mater of fact the same with HK. Both are fine and accomplished lines.
For Reference:
I listen to Linclon Myorka recorded by Shefield Labs. (for give spelling) I have Luxman Amps and Martin Logan Speakers. This is my reference system. I have listened to both NAD and HK (5.1) into Martin Logan Passage Inwalls. I like The Denon better than both of the two you chose. Between your two choices, I like the NAD better.
I do Listen to different things than you do.
One one the best demos for 5.1 is the opening scene from The Last Emperor.
Both of my sons rooms have Bose 901 complete sound systems. Three reasons: 1- there Ebay cheap. 2- Most of what they listen to is down loaded. 3- Sometimes its fun to piss off the neighbors. good luck with your search!
your friend,
Db

Silver Member

Post Number: 303
I agree, Pre amp is the next item for me. Possibly the new T175 coming out. To answer the question if I have compared side by side, same room, same speakers. I have. My friend Ryan had a H/K 635. I had at the time a T762 and wanted to sell it to buy the 763 just because at the time i wanted the latest a greatest, I know. Dumb. But I took the T762 over to his place, set it on top of the H/K 635 and we did a straight A B test of the two receivers. He today owns that T762. But that is also the friend who liked the warm sound over the dark sound. That was just his opinion. Thats all audio is, a opinion. There is people on this Forum that like H/K over NAD and the other way around. Either way, both companies make very very nice sounding A/V receivers. In the future I want to add two more C272's and then a Pre. Sell the T763. Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 191
Db I cant beleive you put Denon in the same catigory, and your saying that you hooked up all 3 recievers free of amp`s, and on the same speaker system, one after another, and you had the EzSET EQ turned OFF, and it was a 635 or 645 H/K, and set the recievers up, and mutiple people listened, and you liked the Denon the best? Upload

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 48
Angelo,
645 HK Vs Denon. 5.1 I like the the Denon. Stright music NAD. I use recievers because that is what most people use for 5.1. I use sepreates my self but that is not fair. My Amps are old and Pre 5.1. So I use multiples. Always set comtrols to flat and use digital switching.
Angelo, if you like HK, thats good stuff. Yes I put Denon in the HK category. I also believe that Marrantz is really good and would give both of these units a run for their money.
Thanks for the dialog,
your friend,
Db

Silver Member

Post Number: 192
I use to be a Denon fan, I even talked my freind in to buying one a few years back, the remote was difficult, but after we got it set I really did not hear much of an improvment over his old yamaha, except for the processor, there costomer service sucks, I questen there power ratings, I think they get way out of line with there expensive avrs that you would be way better off getting separates or buying a Adcom something thats worth buying http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=88811 sorry Im just not a fan any more.

I recently auditioned a theater room with a pioneer elite and def tech speakers and all i could say is if the rear speakers could be moved back (but the room was square) it would rival my setup, very nice. pioneer elite I like

Silver Member

Post Number: 193
I looked at the Nad t754 specs and it seems to have a lot of power.

hay what about outlaw there nice units, big bang for the buck right?

I found this https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/280382.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 305
Angelo- I agree with you on Denon. IMO When I hear a Denon it just doesnt sound good to me at all. Sounds sorta like an Onkyo. Pioneer Elite are good, I would say I like the H/K better though. Then you get up into the NAD/ ROTEL level, than after your getting into the Arcam level. Money though. The Outlaw stuff is very nice sounding, solid gear for the money. I would put them in the H/K category. But not Denon. But again, this is just my opinion.

Bronze Member

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 13
I listened to Denon receiver on music, it is just not right for my ears, so I said no Denon (the stereo amplifier was Ok, but I look for a "all round performer")
Marantz was more musical, but the bass was not so well controlled.
Then I heard Nad, and even if it was the entry T744 on MA Silver loudspeakers, I was enveloped in music. Even if I had with me some DVDs I preferred listening to Dire Straits CD's for almost all the period of auditioning.
I compared also DVD + receiver vs. CD + amplifier and I found that it was not so visible difference as it was in case of Denon.

I listened to Rotel also, but on B&W speakers. I was not able to make a judgment, the room was very small and everything was booming, and the couch was trembling. This is amazing for HT, but I will live in a flat and my neighbors will not be happy with that bass.

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 49
Guys,
I do not believe that all of you could be wrong. I will re-evaluate these products. One problem in this business is we end up getting locked up a single brand. When I do an instalation i do not mark up the gear. Most of my installs are between 5 and 10 k. Not like the old days.
I may start using Marrantz as my default. I use subs in most all my systems and there a great call for in wall speakers. I try to do what is right for my customers within limits. I will do more research on NAD. Thanks for all of your support,
your friend,
Db

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 50
NAD Lovers,
I have done a quick review of Nad's Current offers. The "M" series is drop dead good looking. I did not see a matching tuner?
NAD is an audio product that does video. Not a video product that does audio. I love main in -pre outs. When NAD incorporates HDMI, This could be a killer product.
your friend,
Db

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1346
If you didn't like the Marantz, I would highly recommend the Rotel or Outlaw. NAD has a wonderful sound, but is still dealing with a lot of technical issues and units going dead.

Silver Member

Post Number: 306
DB- Nad is releasing a whole new Line Up with HDMI and IPod Connectivity.

Stof - I have read in many forums and hear from my dealer that NAD took care of those quality control issues when they released the 744 and 754 series. Hopefully this stays true with their new line coming out soon.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1348
A dealer that I mostly respect locally says the same thing, however go to the audio forum under the receiver section and ask this question and see how many guys will come back with stories about their NAD receivers. The quality risk is definitely there. The question is does the quality of the sound outweigh the risk of the unit blowing up or doing the familiar hissing that drove some of the owners to replace them.

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 51
Nick,
That is good news for NAD lovers. NAD 2 years P & L.
In the old days, NAD had questions with impedence issues. I am talking old days. I suppect that bad wire and hook ups were really to blame. Lamp cord really doesn't cut it.
your friend,
Db

Silver Member

Post Number: 308
I agree Don.

Stof- Ive read them all.lol. It seems to be that the 7x2 series were the worse. They didn't have proper grounding inside the case. I havnt read anything in any forum yet about a T744 or a T754 having issues. Perhaps im not looking in the right places. Either way, I havnt had any issues at all with any of my NAD gear. Until I do I wont worry about it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1349
Of course there is nothing to worry about if your equipment is working well. Not all equipment break down even if there are widely reported issues. Still as a point of reference to someone who is buying new equipment it bodes well to point out what we know and share. Here are a few of the past forum discussions

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/213078.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/106549.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/280382.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/377560.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 327
Their now officially on the web site

http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 53
Titi,
Nick is right!
I hope you get the NAD.
I would like to hear your opinion when you do.
thanks your friend db

Bronze Member

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 14
Hi guys!

Thanks for all the inputs, I will definitely get Nad.
Now I just have to wait to sign reception for my new apartment and to start arrange it.

Don, I am glad that discussions here convinced you to look also at some Nad set-ups. Enjoy many happy customers!

Nick, I read also other posts with your comments, great value! Also, I looked at your system, very nice, congratulations!

Best regards

Titi

Silver Member

Post Number: 331
Thanks Titi- Im sure your system will rock the place. Let us know how it sounds.Cheers.

Username: Jamaces

I am going through the same problem.
I have totem accoustic dreamcatchers for the centre, and two rear bookshelfs, and their arro floor stands for the front.
All of my components are HDMI input, although all have digital out.
I would say dont look for video in, only audio.
I am sitll not sure what i am going to do myself I am looking at the Mcintosh systems.

Bronze Member

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 15
Hi, another question for Nad owners: what interconnects do you use/recommend?

My intuition tells me that I need to look to neutral/bright sound from interconnects, since the Nad is warm sound

Thanks

Titi

Silver Member

Post Number: 499
I use Ultralink. Stay away from Monster. Really though it depends on what you hear. Monster is just a rip off. You pay 200 dollars for a 60 dollar cable.

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 66
Tito,
Do Not sell monster cable short. Nick, I know you are a nad fan but your choice in cables needs some work.
Don

Silver Member

Post Number: 502
Don- Not saying Monster Cables are of bad quality, they are just a rip off. My wife use to work at future shop and I use to get their 300 dollar Montser Ultra THX cables for 60-75 dollars cost. I know the cable industry makes a lot of money based on huge profit margins, but Monster tops them all. Huge marketing scam. In all the Hi-Fi shops around here, Monster is known just as that, a Marketing company.

Silver Member

Post Number: 214
I buy monster and NXG from time to time, monster is very good but we all know were going to pay for it, monster did make a cable for the 360 that now sits in my drawer since you have to special order there special optical adapter to make optical work, then I went out and bought another brand, (thanks monster I love throwing money away).

anyways, Don you called Titi, Tito and it made me laugh.

anyways Titi If you buy quality cables I dont think your going to notice a sound difference between brands, I recently bought cables from this company http://www.audioquest.com/ I bought there sidewinder interconnects for 6 direct, Im very happy with the quality of build I did spend more than what I wanted, but there nice.

check out my new bender dall, he`s an alcaholic robot with suicidal tendencies and a bad aditude

BITE MY SHINY METAL ASSSSS NAD BITCHEZ!!!! H/K RULES
Upload

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 67
Titi,
sorry, I type quickly at work and I do not ck what I do.
Audio quest is good cables. Angelo is right high end cables are all pretty good.
Monster has over 200 pantants and started this whole industry.
As for high margins, I do take exceptions to over riduclus prices.
I know Noel Lee very well. President and owner of Monster Cable.
He takes execption to the retailers taking advantange of the monster name. There are spiffs on cables of all manufactures. Local hifi shops have there favorites and they are rewarded accordingly. Why sell a 100 $ monster cable and make 10 dollars and when I can sell an audioquest for 80 $ and make 20$
The real ripoff in cables are 49 t0 69$ cables. I sell them for 7-10 dollars and the margin is crazy. Home depot has a minium 200% margin. I was in Alanta last week was told that was the least margin that they would accecpt. cables for for 3.66 selling for 19.95$
I make know bones that I am in the cable business. My system consists of Martin Logans powered by Vintange Luxman amps. I run high powered cables that I won in sales contests when I was in the retail world. Nothing is as sweet. Most people do not commit to 20k in a high fi system But I am lucky.
I went this week end and listened to Rotel, Marrage and Nad. (I know I butchard the spelling) The Rotel was not impressive at all . very over priced and and not musical. I was impressed with the Nad. Good sounding for the money and I like the new updates. The marage just sucked. I do not know what the purpose of the demo. The salesman showed me many install slips of this product. That tells me that the salesman is still very key in the sale. very scary.
I have attended the CES show every year since 1976. Are any of you going? It would be fun to get together.
your friend,
Db

Bronze Member

BucurestiRomania

Post Number: 16
Hi guys

I have access to Audioquest, Monster, Chord and Ecosse interconnects here.
I'll try to find more also from the dealers

Part of my system will arive in two weeks - the player and receiver, and the speakers will arive at the end of the month

I hope mid november to be able to move to my new home and have everything in place.

Best regards

Titi

Silver Member

Post Number: 503
Sweet Titi, lets get that system hooked up.lol

Don- " The Rotel was not impressive at all . very over priced and and not musical. I was impressed with the Nad. Good sounding for the money and I like the new updates ". Man, I couldnt agree with you more on that. I found the same results to my ears as well. Cheers.

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 68
titi,
Any of those brands are ok. Watch your budget.
your friend,
Db
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us