Out with Bose! In with better quality!

Username: Gtrplayer

Post Number: 1
Ok... running a Sony KDS-55A2000 Grand WEGA 55" SXRD 1080p Rear Projection HDTV.

Why have that TV and have a pewny little Bose 3-2-1 system running?? YUCK!

After much reading on MANY forums I have QUICKLY learned that Bose is simply NOT "it" if you want some good quality movie surround sound. I've read many many posts regarding this and the over-all theme is VERY clear...Stay away from Bose.

So, I did some research and determined my budget. Given the fact that I was ready and quite willing to drop 1799.99 on a Bose Lifestyle 28; I drew the line on my budget at 1700.00. Below is what I came up with:

Sony STRDG710 receiver -

Klipsch - C2
Klipsch - B2 pair
Klipsch - B3 pair

Now...for rears I was planning on using the B-2s... should I go with these
S-2s instead??

For a sub I have a real nice Pioneer SW50 that really kicks nicely and worked well with a previous system...I'll be using that.

My wife is freaking out a bit on how BIG these speakers are...specifically the center channel speaker and the rear speakers... will this "bigness" of the speakers make the sound quality that much better?? If so, I'll stick with it, if not...what is the alternative?? I want good solid quality surround sound...

Also, I HAVE this at home, left over from a previous system I had about 6 yrs ago or so... I have it in the garage and use it for garage music. it' a bit older, but could I use it instead of dropping the $$ on the new Sony as described above??

STR-DE595 Receiver. Boasting a 5 Channel Power Rating: 100W Per Channel x 5 (8 ohms 1 kHz, THD 0.7%), Dolby Digital, dts, Dolby Pro Logic II Decoding, an A & B / A or B Speaker Switch.

100 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.7% - 2 channel(s) ( front ), 100 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.7% - 2 channel(s) ( rear ), 100 Watt - 8 Ohm - at 1 kHz - THD 0.7% - 1 channel(s) ( center ), 90 Watt - 8 Ohm - 40 - 20000 Hz - THD 0.09% - 2 channel(s) ( main )
THank you all for the time in reading through this information.

Silver Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 119
The Klipsch speakers will be a HUGE improvement over any bose in box system. Also look at Paradigm, as you get roughly the same quality for rougly the same prices. I actually prefer the entry level Paradigm sound compared to the entry level Klipsch. I would perhaps use the old Sony receiver FOR NOW and use your full budget into the speakers. Then start saving your pennies again and over time replace the receiver with something that will give you much more satisfaction such as a NAD,Rotel,Outlaw Audio, or even a higher end Harman Kardon. The reason why I say this is because in your budget it sounds like if you get the speakers and the receiver all at the same time you will getting another Sony. Sony receivers do not sound very good at all and with nice speakers like Klipsch or Paradigm you won't be fully satisfied with the Sony sound. Stick a nice NAD receiver on there and your singing. Cheers.

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Bose are pur...

Post Number: 153
your wife is freaking out on how BIG these speakers are? a bit? what is your room size, if its say, over 10x15 then I would say go bigger

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 388
I agree with Nick K. Paradigms a great bang for thye buck. Stay a from Sony receivers, they make some great video but there audio is eeh. I like Nicks receivers but you can put Denon at the top of my list. Stay away from the big box stores go on line to paradigm.com or denon.com and find a dealer near you.

Username: Db_audiofile

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 3
Pat,
I agree with Nik and Casey. Klispch is a great chice for your budget. The problem with Bose is not the speakers buy thier electronics. I run 4 - 901's in one of my surround rooms. If music is very important, Paradigms me be better. The question is what music do you like. Bring your own demo, never let a snake like me control your demo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us