Need advice on buying a TV

Username: Polkster

Post Number: 1
So my budget is, maximum, $2 thousand--that's not to say if a set is $2.2 I wouldn't buy it, but as a ballpark figure I'd prefer between less.

I want a flat panel 1080P plasma set and I want the biggest, best, possible set I can get.

As of now what is the best one on the market in this price range?
How often do prices drop and is it worth waiting?

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 191
You'll only afford small 1080p plasmas for that price.

Just curious...... why must it be a plasma? Plasma's aren't exactly the best choice.(especially if you want a big TV with your budget)

If you intend to use this for HT purposes, you'll want a much bigger screen. With your budget, there are a few 60" options available, but not in your format.

Post Number: 2
I read that plasma televisions were the better format currently. Is that not true?

Silver Member

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 193
Not necessarily.

I personally rate Plasma's last. As the technology stands in 2007, I'd take either a DLP or LCD over a plasma any day of the week. (and twice on Sundays)

If I was shopping with your budget, I'd be looking in this direction for a large 1080p display....
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11222444&whse=BC&topnav=&browse =&lang=en-US&s=1

Once you research the pro's/con's of each technology, you'll want to ask yourself how your TV viewing will be best served. You'll also want to consider screen reflectivity.

IE... many plasma screens are very reflective and difficult to watch in a well lit room due to background reflections on the screen.

When it comes to watching sporting events, movies, etc, etc, etc..........Size Matters

Bronze Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 46
Well it depends on what you mean by "better". Both DLP and LCD have their own limitations. But at 2 grand, you will have built-in size limitations for plasma.

Post Number: 3
My primary use of the TV will be gaming. I plan to get a surround sound system and have a simply awesome setup.

I don't think I'll be sitting any more than ten feet from this screen.

Bronze Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 48
If you are a serious gamer, I would definitely not recommend plasma because of the potential for burn-in. LCD would be a better choice under those circumstances.

Silver Member

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 197
Yea, no kidding.

Newer plasmas claim to be less bad as far as burn in goes(if that makes any sense), but regardless, you should avoid the plasma.

Silver Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 141
go look at plasma, LCD and DLP side by side, plasma I cant stand them, to me the color seems to blend together or have a unnatural glow or something I dont exactly know how to explain it, you can see the pixel lines from far away, they get very hot, they use a lot of power, and I know in the past they had elevation issues, someware after 4000Feet, and yes they have very bad burn in issues. theres no burn in on DLP or LCD, the DLP is my favorite, it handles dusty environments well, I use a projector so this might be diffrent than projection TV, some LCD seems to have a tracer effect to me on very fast moving things like a pitcher throwing a baseball, the best that I have looked at past and present and my pic in TVs is the SAMSUNG DLP TV its like looking threw a window, and Im a gamer that plays in very competitive on line games, GHOST RECON and BATTLEFIELD2

Post Number: 4
I think 60'' may be a bit overkill. I'm probably going to be no more than 10 feet from my TV, probably an average of 9 or 8. What would be the perfect size?

Is DLP and LCD really superior? What are their relative prices for similar sizes?

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
when I play games Im sitting on the floor 7feet away looking at an 81" screen, about 67" 4.3 aspect ratio which games are that I play, if the game gets intense I can kneel or stand and if Im camping I can lie down, If Im watching a movie then I sit 15feet away, If you go over 60" watch for fading around the edges, and I wouldnt go under 50", when you look at 4.3 on your tv things are going to seem small, you could use zoom or letter box but then when play games you could have a disadvantage, the 60" SAMSUNG would be at the top of my list. some of my ghost friends that went to a big tv couldn`t hardly play, complaining of not being able to see and kill, the first ghost recon and battlefield2 are very demanding, one of my friends even brought the big tv back, he didn`t want his performance to drop, he didnt want to take the time to adjust, so dont be discouraged it will take time to get use to it, but it should make you a better player

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1702
­
Whatever size TV you get is completely up to you of course. However, consider this: In a 'how to buy an HDTV' article, the latest issue of The Perfect Vision magazine quotes the recommendations of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) and THX on optimum picture size. SMPTE recommends a screen size of .6 times viewing distance. THX goes even further with .75 and at least .5 X viewing distance minimum. Therefore:

distanceSMPTETHX...THXmin
9ft.65"81"59"
10ft.72"90"60"
11ft.80"99"66"
12ft.86"108"72"

If I had looked at these figures when I was shopping for my first HDTV back well over 3½ years ago now, I would have said "No way!" But now when I view my almost postage stamp sized 50" TV at 11½ feet, I can't wait to get a bigger TV. (In fairness, 60+" TVs were fewer and far more expensive 4 years ago.)

Two points:
1) As Angelo says it takes a little time to get used to a bigger screen.
2) Today's 1080 TVs are so good and considering the size limits of CRT TVs, old ideas about screen size are out the window. As Rush says...size matters.
­

Post Number: 5
So which, palsma, DLP, or LCD, gives me the most bang for my buck?

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 386
Thereare more size choices with the rear view TVs 50,55,56,60. Plasma are more limited to 50 and 60 there is a 58 Panasonic that is 1080P but your looking at closer to $4000 than $2000. Samsung
and Sony make very good rear projections the sammy using DLP @ 1080P and the sony using LCOS (Liquid Crystal On Silicone) but they call it SXRD @ 1080P. Panasonic or Pioneer 50 inch 720P model are closer to $2000. Pioneer being more expensive of the two but I'll put it up against any LCD screen at any price you want for picture quility. All TVs have pros and cons rears have light bulb tat need to be changed every 3 years. Plasmas without calibration are susceptible to burn in and LCDs SUCK

Post Number: 6
What about DLP? I found a really nice Samsung DLP within my price range, what are the cons of that technology?

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
Billy, dont you read peoples posts, stay away from plasma if your playing games because of the burn in, samsung has been around the DLP a long time, just look up LCD vs DLP http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/837/dlp-vs-lcd-page2.html http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp_test.htm

Silver Member
Username: Leonski

Post Number: 139
Sony makes a 55" SXRD, which is there version of LCOS.....available for 2large or less, even at some discount retailers.
This is perhaps the most 'film like' picture available. 2xHDMI inputs for 1080p are featured as well as other inputs. No 'screen door' or other artifacts. The set calibrates well.
Plasma? I don't see why unless you simply MUST have a wall hanger. Direct view LCD is coming on strong...with some panels now up to 52" and growing.
TV pricing continues to drop maybe 1 or 2% a month with good deals popping up as new models come out.
Check out reviews, than go for a viewing at the local retailer. Keep in mind that everything will be jacked up / brighter /shinier than you could ever actually stand in your own LR.

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 145
Burn-in hasn't been an issue for 3+ years. But I digress from my point. I own the Sony 60" SXRD and it is great. I have a PS3, Xbox 360, gaming computer, and a Gamecube, and all, except the Gamecube obivously, look spectacular. I play Resistance, Gears of War, watch BLu-ray, and play CS:S. When I walk into a Best Buy, I say, wow, my tv looks WAY better than those ones. LCOS>DLP, because DLP has the COLOR WHEEL OF DEATH, that is, when you focus on the screen, then turn your head rapidly, the picture on the screen will be replaced by RGB lines ugh. Anyway, the 55" Sony can be found, if you know where to look, for under $1900. It has my highest recommendation.

Stefan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us