Which is better?

Username: Killershow

Post Number: 1
Hello, I am currently building a house and I am planning a room for my family and I to watch movies and TV shows, aka home theater. That's why I am here; I have tons of questions for the experts here. I have already brought a receiver from http://powersellernyc.com for a great deal. I brought the Yamaha RX-V2700 AV Receiver. Anyways I was planning to purchase from them again and this time I am planning to purchase speakers. Here my first question, is Bose Lifestyle 48 Series III DVD Home Entertainment System or purchasing separate speakers will I get the most out of my dollar.

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 286
Bose speaker systems do not work well with other components, they are overpriced for what you get, and make a poor system compared to other systems costing just as much or even less.

I would have recommended the new Integra or Onkyo AV receiver with lossless HD audio and HDMI 1.3a support but whats done is done.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1700
­
Geez, everytime I see a post like this I shake my head and marvel at Bose's promo dept. The general public's perception of Bose would be the envy of any consumer products company. I also marvel at how much money they must be making on these $3 plastic cubes that could not play their way out of a paper bag. $3500....incredible. Hey I could see a compromise on decorator approved speakers for a formal living room, but this is a dedicated HT room you're talking about. Raman, do you have any idea what kind of speakers you can get for this kind of money? You are obviously a man of means who knows quality. That Yamaha 2700 is an excellent, serious piece of gear. It deserves better than Bose.

The standard answer around here regarding speaker selection is that you should do research and most importantly, choose a system that sounds best to you. Somebody else can offer suggestions here, but ultimately what you get will have to satisfy only you and your family. And if that ends up being Bose, then so be it.
­

Post Number: 2
Wow, thanks John and Wescott for replying so fast. I am posting so quickly because I wanna get over the speakers fast so I can move on to HD DVD or Blue Ray. I am now think Yamaha NS-FP4600 5.1 Channel Speaker Package or JBL SCS300.5 8-Piece Home Cinema Speaker Package. Or should I buy customize and buy separate Klipsch speakers.

Bronze Member
Username: Nickelbut10

Canada

Post Number: 62
Stay away from in box speaker systems all together. They are garbage. If you your going to spend 3500 dollars on the worse sounding speaker or all time..Bose. Do a custom set-up like you said. Separate Klipsch like you said or even better in my opinion, Paradigm. Both are good though. 3500 dollars can get you Paradigm Monitor 11's, CC370 center channel, some nice paradigm rears, and a sub. That will blow the doors off of anything Bose will ever make. Lots of choices out there though that would be good. Depends on what you can demo.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1701
­
Raman, first you bring up Bose, and then you want to move on to HD DVD vs. Blu-ray. You really want to stir it up don't you?

https://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-62-home-theater-system.aspx

Bronze Member
Username: Skeeterhead

Post Number: 47
Separate speakers will give you better sound. I have never been a Bose fan because in my judgement, they produce very inaccurate sound. You can do better for the money. How much better depends on your budget. But you should go ahead and audition Bose as you might find the sound appealing.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 381
Raman check out some of thes espeaker brands, Paradigm,B&W and PSB. Look ay this site for some insite http://ultimateavmag.com/

Post Number: 3
john, john, john. i would like have lively thread and get help from you guys about my choices. any ways i decided to just go with the Klipsch speakers. i am buying a subwoofer, center channel, 2 towers, and 2 surround sound speakers. im also buying 2 bookself speakers for my desk

Post Number: 4
should i get a bluray player or an hd dvd player

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1713
­
"should i get a bluray player or an hd dvd player"

1. You could buy none of the above and wait this one out for a clear winner, because you don't want to end up with the loser.

2. Or you could buy both and hope something even better than both these formats doesn't come along in five years.
­

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 289
There are two problems with buying one or the other. The movie you want to watch is not supported by the player you buy or the player you buy is the losing technology and will no longer be supported.

A combo player is probably the way to go if you just HAVE to have one now!

Samsung just released the BDP U5000.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/press-releases/samsung-releases-dual-format-hd-p layer.html

Here is is the link and I will not get into which is better. I have no real preference and the differences are negligable, IMO.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 86
With Block Buster going Blu-Ray, and Blu-Ray now out selling HD DVD 3-1. I would say it is a safe bet to buy a blu ray player. Net-Flix is now leaning toward Blu-Ray as well. If they go Blu-Ray it is over. In my opinion, its pretty much over already. Oh and Walmart had a deal with Toshiba to receive 250,000 Toshiba HD Dvd players at 299.99. They canceled that. HD DVD is done. My Opinion.

Post Number: 5
how much is the bluray player alone. is it better if i get the ps3 because it also has a bluray player.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 94
They range from 549.99CDN up to 1599.99 CDN. The PS3 is cool because of course you can play games on it. But if your looking for the best video and audio quality. Go with either the Sony BDP-S1, Pioneer Elite one or the new Samsung coming out very very soon. I got my Sony BDP-S1 for 800 cdn. I love it.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 290
Actually, the Samsung BD P1200 is the best performing BR player to date. Sony has never invested much R&D into their players. Pioneer hasn't either.

I think it is still too eary to declare a winner of either technology. Corporate deals may influence peoples selection but it also alienates users. NetFlix is still supporting both, which I think is the smarter approach to this debacle.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 96
I hear it is the best to date.But I have only read a few reviews on it and they say the audio is still muddy like the P1000 was. PC World gave the Samsung BD P1000 best performing overall. Meaning best menu's, fast, good video but poor audio. The Pioneer Elite 1st for Video, Sony BDP-S1 a close Second. Sony BDP-S1 best for Audio. Home Theater pretty much said the same thing. Problem with the Sony and Pioneer is that their menu performance is terrible. Really slow. November firmware upgrade coming for the Sony that will hopefully fix that. I only care about video and audio. From what I read the Pioneer Elite and Sony still have the edge. As far as performance in every other aspect they suck.lol.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,130058/article.html

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 291
PC World is a good site for general information but you will find that their are better sites for in depth reviews and the technical prowess to really put equipment through its paces without relying on subjective opinions. I would suggest a site like Secrets of Home Theater to get a really thorough, technical review of players.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

I hope you get a chance to visit this site and gain an appreciation for their high level of technical prowess and the really valuable information they provide on video and audio technology. You may never visit PC World again!!!!

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 97
LOL yeah I know. I never go to PC World, I only found that review just by searching on Google a few weeks back. I get a monthly dose of Home Theater magazine, but I even find that just subjective opinions. From what I have read though, the 1200 model of the Samsung is overall best to date like u had said. I did not understand how PC World gave the Samsung 1000 overall best performing. My best friend has that model and he even admits the Sony I have kills it. DVD players in general are not really my thing. I am more into audio. The only reason why I jumped all over the Sony one is because my buddies at Red Ball gave it to me for 800 dollars CDN taxes in. When it was 1299.99 CDN. The picture looks great, and I love uncompressed audio, but for dolby and DTS mixes it sucks hard compared to my NAD. Thanks for the link, I am checking it out now.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 98
Here is a article on that player you may be interested in reading. It doesn't do the Dolby True or DTS True formats? Thats not a big deal though. Looks like picture quality on it is superb.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/discplayers/707sam1200/

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 99
Ok, your going to have to explain this site to me.lol. It seems from what I am reading is that a 250 dollar LG beats a 5000 dollar Lexicon and a 1800 dollar Arcam. Crazy.

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 100
Good site, the guy uses mainly the same type of test equipment that Home Theater and Just HiFi use. Only complaint I have is that out of all those players there is only about maybe 15 different Company names being reviews. I love the Arcam stuff, and they do have some Krell and Rotel. No NAD though. They really don't like he Pioneer players.LOL.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 292
It is more that most high dollar companies do not want to be reviewed because their $1000+ players are outperformed by companies like Oppo in the home video department and where digital audio reigns. Can you blame them? Makes it kind of hard to ask ridiculous prices when fairly priced products outperform them.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 103
Good point. It looks like u have a pretty sweet set-up. I see your a Denon lover, which is cool.What is your take on NAD,Rotel,Anthem and such?

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 293
I almost bought a Rotel to drive my Klipsch reference series and feel all of the AV receivers, preamps, and amps made by these companies you mentioned are a step above Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Harman Kardon. Their fit and finish is excellent too and their audio quality is always top notch. I bought the 3805 becuase of its value, and at the time, its numerous features and VERY low noise floor at idle, which is important when using with horn loaded speakers.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 104
I agree with both things you addressed. I feel it was a great choice by you to go with the Denon for those speakers. The Onkyo sound I am very UN-impressed by. Denon and H/K I do like. Do you have any plans on throwing in a power amp into your system in the future, using the Denon as a preamp?

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 294
I have been saving my pennies for the Emotiva MPS-1 with 5 channels and a Denon DVD2930ci.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 105
Ive been hearing decent things about the Emotiva's. Have you heard one before? What was your take on it? That Denon is a nice DVD player. If the time you are ready to purchase that player is in a time period that a HD format has won. Would you go with a HD player instead such as Blu-Ray or HD DVD? I also hear there are a few Arcam DVD players in that price range that very much so rival for some of the best you can buy. Or would you like to keep everything Denon? Also I read in this months Home Theater mag news that Denon are going Blu-Ray and are are releasing their first player this year for 1999.99CDN. That would be sweet.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 295
I have not heard the Emotiva but they get rave reviews everywhere, and the Klipsch forum members all give them a thumbs up with the reference series speakers. I like the modular design concept and this is probably what gives it such a low noise floor.

Prices continue to tumble on the HD players and as soon as one has all the features that I want like SACD and DVD Audio support, as well as good SD video quality and dual format, I will get off the fence. I really do not want three different players in my rack for all of the different formats. Just costs more for switching and gets to be a pain for everyone, including my wife. There is a lot to be said for just dropping ANY disc into one player for ease of operation for everyone involved. I would lean toward the Denon DVD players because of the all digital connection available through the single Denon Link cable but right now, the BR player Denon is selling has too many bells and whistles but does not support all of the features I mentioned above. I am a pretty practical person and I have a hard time spending 10 times as much for a product that may give you 1% to 5% improvement in sound or video quality over a more fairly priced product. Denon has, for the most part, been that middle of the road compromise with their attention to both consistent audio and video quality for a fair price.

I have watched as the quality of products have escalated and the prices have dropped. The margin of audible and viewable difference in products has dwindled to the point that Ferrari performance can be had at Mustang\Corvette prices.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/denon-dvd-3800bdci-blu-ray-dvd-pla yer.html

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 107
You mean you dont want your Rack FULL of DVD players??lol just kidding. Yeah good point. I really noticed the Ferrari performance for the Mustang price in the Projector field. As far as Receivers and Amps go in sound quality, I feel it is the same way now as well. After you hit the 1000 Dollar mark or higher your getting into the 90/10 rule. Ten percent better performance for 90 percent more money.

Post Number: 6
So I should wait till the war between Blu-ray and HD DVD is over right? Now my final question; which is the best brand or TV model for home enteraintment?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 108
Depends on what kind of TV you are looking to get? LCD, Projection LCD, Plasma or DLP?

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 296
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 120
Westcott- Let us know when you get your hands on that Emotiva. Cheers

Post Number: 8
I am looking for Panasonic TH-50PZ750U 50" Plasma TV. I found this TV on powersellerNYC.com. I am brought up this site again is (no not to spam) because I just found out that it is very close to where my house so I save on shipping as well.

Username: Db_audiofile

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 4
Ramun,
I have in this business since Beta VS VHS, srtuggled through Lasor-disk and now HD vs all HD. DVD players att 299 fall out of Walmarts guidelines in that product catagory.Its the studios that will deside on witch will survive. Blu-ray is clearly leading and most likey prevale. I do use 4 Bose- 901's in one of my sound rooms and it is prety dynamic. As for your decision on the panasonic I found one flaw that made me not choose it. The new TV's that have 12o mz refresh rates are twice as good for spots and moving pictures. Do Not get my wrong, I love Panasonic video. This display is too expensive not to have this feature. Also if your room has a lot of windows, this is bad for reflections. You might be better off with Sony XBR4. Good luck!
your friend,
Db

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 300
If you believe the specs published on refresh rates for displays, you are sadly misguided. None of them come close to their published performace numbers. Same with contrast numbers. Panasonic is still the best maker of plasmas, all the way around.

Silver Member

Post Number: 204
Yup they sure are. Panasonic and Pioneer for Plasma's, Sony and Sharp for LCD's.

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 10
Panasonic, Pioneer both great choices. I have seen the differences between these systems and there is a difference. Pioneer seems to have a better picture. The specs that you question are often a problem because they measure thier own. I consult for a major satellite company and I have no loyalities. We prodided World Cup for all of our dealer base last year and there is a difference. I realize that we are spilting hairs, we are talking about screens north of 4k.
Db

Post Number: 9
I think Blu-ray won already because Blockbuster is only using Blu-ray. Also I heard the XBR5s are coming out, too. What is the difference bettween the XBRs?

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 15
Raman,
Currently Blu-ray is enjoying a 3-1 lead. The major reason is Blu-ray is now backwards compatible. The main difference between the two systems is HD-DVD is MEP 4 and Blu-ray is MEP 2. I have seen sharper pictures with HD-DVD. That does not mean that it will survive. (Just asked the Beta people).
The answer to your Sony question:
XBR5 has an (HDMI-CEC) consumer electronics controler. This allows all of your HDMI gear to controlled with one remote. This is a 300$ hit from Sony.
http://www.quantumdata.com/pdf/CEC_White_Paper.pdf
In our industry we have a "white paper" that discribes the really tech features. I gave you this link for your review should what to ck it out.
your friend,
Db

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 16
Nick,
I believe you are right on where your review material comes from.
I love PC world. They hate every thing. I find out more about what people do not like about a product and then see if it affects me and my needs.
I used to get Home Theater Mag. I agree a lot of subjective opinion. I do cut some slack because at this level enviroment can have a big influence on wwhat is reviewed.
your friend,
Db

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1347
As much as I'd like this war to be over, it ain't over yet. Paramount announced that they are going over to HD-DVD. I'd say hold on until at least the end of the year. This is a side story to this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/27/business/media/27transformers.html

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
All this will do is pro-long the war. As far who will win, im still routing for Blu-Ray. Lets hope.

Bronze Member

La habra, Ca Usa

Post Number: 52
Nick,
I heard this last week.
The big differences between the two formats are:
Blu-Ray is MP2 compression and HD DVD is MP4 compression.
Since MIcrosoft is Supporting HD DVD that means better Copy Right Protection.
Parmount is not about to give sony a dime in royalities if they do not have too!
I have set up HD DVD and Blu-Ray A-B Test (XBR4)and the HD DVD picture is Better!
HD will out price Blu. Recently Walmart canceled a purchase of HD DVD Targeted Retail at 279$ US.
Reason: Not enough Supply.
This reminds me of the old days when we were comparing VSH and Beta.
In thoes days Beta 260 lines and VSH 240 I !!!!!
Now we fight over which 1080P is better! (lol) really (lol)
your friend,
Db

Silver Member

Post Number: 309
LOL true. From what I read, it depends on the player. Home Theater Mag claims that if you compare the highest end Toshiba next to the Highest End Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray, that Blu-Ray wins hands down. Now if you take the Samsung Blu-Ray player(1000 model) and compare it to the Toshiba HD_DVD. HD-DVD wins hands down. It all depends on the quality of the players. As the two formats as of right now, are almost indentical in the Video/Audio department. Blockbuster and Target both went Blu-Ray. But who knows. I still have my fingers crossed for Blu-Ray, as I own one.lol. Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us