Mixing Speakers From Different Manufacturers

Bronze Member
Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 16
I've heard that is it usually best to not mix surround system speakers from different manufacturers. Though I'm not really sure. Any thoughts on this idea?

I have some old Marantz LS-20 speakers that still sound good. My budget is limited to about $1000 for speakers and I was wondering how it would work if I kept the Marantz's for my main's and added a better center speaker and sub-woofer to the setup. I currently have some Infinity's for my rears. The LS-20's have 15" woofers which provides good base in a room 30'x20' with a cathedral ceiling. Would a sub-woofer be too much combined with the 15" woofers? Would they compete with each other?

I've thought about adding the Klipsch Cinema 6 setup and keeping the LS-20's, thus making a 7.1 system? Any thoughts on this? I need a new receiver as well, if anybody has some suggestions for a setup like this? Any other speaker/system suggestions?

Thank you, I appreciate any suggestions/advice that anybody can provide.

Silver Member
Username: Dmitchell

Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 128
For the longest time I had mismatched speakers on my HT system.

I noticed an immediate increase in sound quality when I upgraded my center channel to match my front speakers. I think this in part was due to the fact that my center and mains were now timbre matched, and also because my new center channel was of much higher quality than the one it replaced.

I'd say it's a little less important for your rears to match your fronts in a 5.1 system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us