Problems connecting units together

Username: Dmoblay

UK

Post Number: 1
I have a Panasonic Viera 42", Panasonic DVD Recorder, Sky+, 360 and a Sony Amp. I am routing the component feeds for the 360 & DVD play back through the amp to my tv which works fine. However, no matter what combination of Scart and Coax I use for the Sky & DVD I can't manage to record from TV & Sky to the DVD recorder. I decided to start all over again and have unplugged everything but looking through the manuals none of them offer a setup guide for this many units, please can someone help and let me know what needs to be connected to what and how. I want to be able to record from Sky & the TV to the DVD recorder, but not loose the Component playback from the DVD player.

Thanks.

Username: Dshad

Post Number: 2
Hello Luke,

Have you been able to solve your problem? I have a similar setup and cannot find out how to do the job right.

Thanks!

Username: Dmoblay

UK

Post Number: 2
No not yet, still searching for the answer.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Rattle your ... Missouri

Post Number: 2516
A Few Q's for ya.

1. I'm assuming when you say Sony Amp, you mean a receiver, correct?

2.If it is a receiver, I need to know the model...=P?

Yeah that's all.

Going on... Current Set-up as I see it in my head is this:

Dvd Playback and Xbox 360 to Sony Receiver.
Sony Receiver Component Video Out to TV.

Ok so what you want to do is this?
Watch DVD's with component playback and also be able to record material on Sky and TV to the Dvd Player/Recorder...?

Ok Coax...there's more than one type of that..what exact cables do you have? And of course SCART

By my understanding of your words...I would think you put it together like this (assuming your equipment has the connections I think it does).

Panasonic and 360 Component Video Out to Sony Receiver...

Sky+ to the receiver however you're hooking it up.

If your TV has the right output to go into the Dvd Recorder input and your Sky+ does too...then what's the problem here? I would think it'd be simple to just plug the outputs of the equipment to the input of the DVD Recorder? The receiver should have outputs on it for a DVD recorder I thought?

Otherwise, I'd say you need a switcher from my current understanding of it (sorry if I'm not understanding your wording). You could have the output of the switcher go to the input of the DVD recorder and all the things you want to record to the switcher inputs anad switch to them when ready to record.

I'm probably not understanding your wording and made a lot of assumptions so correct me and tell me if your equipment has those connectors required or not. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1609
Luke, this is my vision:

"I am routing the component feeds for the 360 & DVD play back through the amp to my tv which works fine."

That's good, but you do not state what is happening with the audio/video output from the Skybox. I am assuming you are using the TV scart output directly into the TV, while using the Skybox's optical output into the Sony. And that's good too.

Since the scart sockets on both the Skybox and the DVD recorder are all outputs, a scart connection for recording purposes is out of the question. The next best solution is to use the S-video and R/L audio outputs from the Skybox into the S-video and R/L audio inputs on the DVD recorder. This would permit recording whatever channel is tuned in on the Skybox. The DVD recorder most likely must be programmed or switched to its S-video input in order to recognise and record the incoming signal.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us