Optical Audio Out and HDMI

Username: Timz55

Post Number: 2
Hey guys - I recently bought a Yamaha dvd player with upconvert. It doesn't have an Optical Audio Output, but my plasma (Pioneer 5060HD) does. I figured I'd be able to run the HDMI from the new dvd player into the plasma, then run the optical Audio out into my 7.1 surround receiver. It's just not working. I've screwed with all the settings and everything, but it still doesn't work. The video looks great, but I'm not getting any audio to my receiver. What can I do? Thanks for any help!

Tim

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 52
The optical audio out on your plasma is only for sending audio from a digital antenna to your receiver, it does not take audio in the HDMI and send it back out anywhere. Your dvd player has coaxial digital out right? Does your receiver have coaxial digital input? You can use that.

Username: Mtbmtb

Post Number: 6
Aaron's right. i have the pioneer 5070. i thought if i hooked everything into the tv and then ran an digital optical audio cable into my pioneer 816 receiver it would all work. first pioneer rep said yes but was really just agreeing with everything i said. i called back and got a more knowlegable tech and he stated the the HDMI hook up cuts off the digtal output of the tv. i hooked mine up with a optic audio cable to from the tv to the 816 for my antenna and direct tv (non hd) play. i ran a HDMI cable from the dvd to the tv for video and audio from the tv speakers and used a coaxial digital cable to hook up the 816 to the dvd.

Silver Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 238
Fall back to plan B: use the DVD analog audio outputs but you will lose Dolby Digital capability. Or Plan C: acquire a DVD player with an optical output. Suggestion: HD981 from Oppo Digital.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us