DVI to HDMI

Bronze Member
Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 78
My cable box does not have a HDMI out but it does have a DVI out and I just noticed that you can get DVI to HDMI cables.

My question is would you loose the HDMI quality with this cable or do you never actually have it because the signal is coming out of the DVI port?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1544
­
Nick, the latest version of HDMI (1.3) does have much greater bandwidth potential than DVI. But that greater bandwidth is for more demanding applications in the future. For now, however, there is no difference in the video quality on a cable box's DVI output vs. the same quality box with an HDMI output. The main difference is that HDMI also carries audio and DVI does not.

Bronze Member
Username: Hodedofome

TX USA

Post Number: 54
Depending on what box you are using and the area you are in, the DVI may not work. Anyone I know that's tried to use the DVI on a Scientific Atlanta SA8000HD will not work, they had to trade it in for the SA8300HD. But it's worth a shot to try it.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1547
­
Good point Aaron. Three years ago when my cable co. installed my SA3250HD box they told me the DVI out was inactive, and to this day I have not tried hooking it up.

Frankly, I have been happy with the box's component output and have not tried using the DVI, especially since HDMI is apparently going to be the digital A/V standard anyway...

But I am about to rise up from the quiet, since my monthly bill has crept up by 50% over the last 36 months, and there needs to be some kickin'azz and takin'numbers done soon. I will check out the latest service provided and then report back.
Upload
­

Username: Aomagman78

Post Number: 2
I don't know if this relates at all. But i've had experience with converting HDMI to DVI and I noticed a drop in quality. Maybe it was the adapter, I doubt though but it was significant. No idea why or if this even makes sense.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1557
­
Shawn, since HDMI advertises itself as completely backwards compatible with DVI, your problem is not supposed to happen. It could be the adaptor, but I agree it isn't likely.

What is the video source here? Are you comparing the picture quality on your TV's DVI input vs. its component input?
­

Username: Aomagman78

Post Number: 3
Actually, it was on my Xbox 360. I was using the HDMI output and converting to DVI for my computer monitor and I noticed an incredible amount of jaggedness on all objects as well as with background. I haven't actually used it from the HDMI so I have nothing to compare it to, it just did not look right at all. To be honest I don't have any clue if this had something to do with the conversion, just mad I wasted 30 bucks on the adapter I guess.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1558
­
I'm certainly no expert regarding computer monitors, but I would guess there's a configuration issue with it. I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't have a problem if that 360 was being fed into an HDTV.

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 180
My cable box does not have a HDMI out but it does have a DVI out and I just noticed that you can get DVI to HDMI cables.

My question is would you loose the HDMI quality with this cable or do you never actually have it because the signal is coming out of the DVI port?
---------------
You lose nothing but audio capabilities........

If you run a DVI/HDMI adapter, the only downside is that you'll need to run a separate audio cable.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us