New Sony Bravia 40" LCD- best home theater???

Username: Alexsamimom

Post Number: 1
Someone help me. I have no clue!! I live in an apt. so the place is not big, but I would like the best possible system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13851
Budget?

Post Number: 2
$700-$800

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13868
For both the receiver AND speakers?

Post Number: 3
yes, for both!! We have pretty much decided on the sony receiver and sony dvd....what speakers though? My husband said Klipsch, Definitive, Paradigm, Polk, or Axiom....any ideas?? He said all we really need is 2 speakers, and a center..He said we don't need the subwoofer right now. We want it for music and TV...best sound possible....thanks again!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13869
"We want it for music and TV...best sound possible"

Please do not take this the wrong way...but not with a Sony. They look good on paper but really weak power supplies that will not do your speakers justice (which are all excellent choices, by the way, and you can't go wrong with any). The ratings on their receivers are quite bloated.

Post Number: 4
Is the sony receiver not a good idea or the dvd? I wanted sony speakers, but my husband also explained to me sony speakers are not good. But he can't decide on the speakers to get. Tell me what you suggest, and I will pass it on to him. Nothing sony is that what you are saying?? Out of the speakers I mentioned, which do you think are the best?? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3399
No home theater system is complete without a sub. It's what packs the punch to the system.

Post Number: 5
OK, so if we do get the sub....tell me what would be my best options....ok, up to $1000. But we don't need 5 speakers, the place just isn't that big. So he said maybe 2 (bookcase speakers), subwoofer, center speaker, which reciever, and which dvd player....tell me the best possible! I hope they are called bookcase, I am really not sure. I wanted the sony in the box, and my husband pretty much said that was not a good choice...little do I know!!

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13870
As far as receivers are concerned, I would personally stay away from Sony. Their DVD players are not bad, but my preferences lie elsewhere. For the receiver try looking at the Pioneer VSX-1016.

For the speakers, check out the Athena bookshelves...the Audition series:

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/v2/productlines.php?ident=Audition+Series+2

I would highly recommend a 5.1 system if you really want to enjoy your movies and take advantage of your home theater set-up.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3402
Yep, you really do want the rears too, it won't be the same without them.

Bronze Member
Username: Huron

If there`s no highs or...

Post Number: 65
http://www.onecall.com/productsearch.aspx?ne=1061&n=257+1075 go hear and look at the H/Ks, and the payment plan is good

Post Number: 6
ok, we have decided on the Polk speakers or the Definitive (bookcases).....what do you guys think?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13873
I'm biased towards the Definitive bookshelves. I have those and they sound really great.

Post Number: 7
which exact ones do you have?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13876
I have an older Celsius series, being driven by a Carver receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us