Onyko receiver problem or installation problem? Surround sound will not work.

Username: Chassc

Charleston, SC

Post Number: 1
I recently moved, and am having a problem getting sound out of my home theatre system after its new hookup. I am not sure if the problem is with my receiver or with my hook ups.

Problem: I get no sound at all out of system except when receiver's "surround mode" is set to off (i.e. no sound when the receiver mode is set to Prologic, hall, theatre, studio or live modes, and consequently surround sound is not working. Receiver display works fine, just no sound except from left and right front speakers).

The equipment worked fine before the move and initially worked after my new set up, for a few days. The last I know it worked was after I added the two rear speakers and then used the receiver's test tone function to balance all of the speakers' sound levels. At that time, I was getting sound out of all speaker channels in surround mode. Not sure what happened after that -- next day I went to use, and would not work except as described above. Now, I don't get any surround sound, even out of test mode, only sound from the 2 front speakers and the subwoofer. Did I short-circuit something?

What I've done so far to check out: center channel speaker -- traded center channel speaker out with left channel speaker -- center speaker works fine then. Also checked 'center mode' on receiver to make sure it is not set to phantom mode (which prevents sound from coming from center speaker) -- it is not, it is in wideband mode. Also checked to make sure problem occurs regardless of whether I am watching TV, playing a CD or a cassette.

Any suggestions on what I should do next to get the system to work?

My equipment: 10 year-old Onkyo TX-SV717PRO Audio Video control tuner; speakers are Atlantic Technology System 250 (5 speakers + powered subwoofer). Also, Denon 440 CD player, Sansui D-55M tape player, a 2 year-old Pioneer DVD, a Sony Wega 3LCD TV (with HDTV) and a Bell South HD box.

Charleston, SC

Post Number: 3
Update: I think this is a receiver problem.... I took the scientific approach and thumped on the receiver and the surround sound modes began working.

Problem is, ran fine for a few minutes, then I heard a pop sound on the speakers, and the receiver went into protect mode.

I turned off the reciever and turned it on again, and the system again is only working in non-prologic (no surround sound) mode.

Is this something like a loose wire inside the receiver that I can fix myself or is this a job for the repair shop? Not afraid to give it a try if I know where to look.

Bronze Member
Username: Huron

If there`s no highs or...

Post Number: 63
if you tapped on the front to get it working, maybe in the switches since you probibly didnt move them till you moved? and how do you have the sub hooked up? 10 years old maybe time to up grade, try unhooking you rears at the receiver and then try to get it running again, if it works, look at the speaker wires and the rears

Charleston, SC

Post Number: 4
Subwoofer hookup: One single-gang RCA cable going from subwoofer input to the "mono out" terminal of the receiver.

Will try unhooking the rear speakers again tommorrow.

If still doesn't work after I unhook the rear speakers.... any idea how I might know for sure problem in the switches? If so, is this something a novice can fix, or is it time to head for the repair shop?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1538
­
I think it's time to head into the digital age and not throw money away on an old Pro-Logic receiver. Of course that's easy for me to say because I'm not spending the $500+ it's going to take to get a good fully up-to-date receiver. You will not believe how much better Dolby Digital performs over Dolby Pro-Logic in movies. Additionally, you will be able to utilize the digital audio output on your cable box to hear DD 5.1 sound on all HD channels and many SD channels as well.

Everybody has their favorite brands on this forum. Here's my ideas (which are worth about 2¢).

The Yamaha RX-V1600 receiver is a lot of bang for the buck, including full analog video upconversion on its HDMI output.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/trade-show-coverage/2005-cedia-expo/yamaha-rx-v2 600-and-rx-v1600-receivers

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=RXV1600&gclid=CNP2xLG_4IsCFQ GPWAodiV3ncA

If you want to stick with Onkyo, I wouldn't consider any model below the TX-SR674, which is the lowest in their line featuring full video upconversion on its HDMI output.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Onkyo_TX_SR674_black/4505-6466_7-31983431.html

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4124860&JRSource=googlebase.d atafeed.ONK+TXSR674B

The Yamaha has better power reserve than the Onkyo, which might be important should you upgrade to a larger more power hungry speaker system in the future.
­

Charleston, SC

Post Number: 5
Post-Script for anyone out there who may have similar future problem..

ended up taking the receiver to the shop. After 6 weeks and $160 got it back. Per the shop, problem was a bad transistor that had to be replaced. Also there were a number of loose connections that had to be repaired.
The receiver worked properly for 1 day once I got it back, then same problem occurred as before. Now back in shop. Will be nice when I get it back!
Thanks to all who previously responded.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1651
­
I still think you're throwing good money away on a receiver that should've been replaced already.

It's time to join the digital age.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us