Surround sound system advise

Username: Jjonathan

MarseilleFrance

Post Number: 1
Hi guys.

I'm moving to a new apartment and I want to get some nice audio in there.
I never had anything fancy before (just used some speakers with a subwoofer).

Now, I want to connect 2 or 3 computers to the system and it's for movies and music. The rooms is 16ft x 20ft (5m x 6m) and I was thinking about a 5.1 dolby surround system.

I was looking at the Bose Acoustimass 6 but realized that you guys don't really like the Bose Acoustimass system, right?

Are there any other speakers you could recommend and do I need an amplifier / receiver?

I don't have a clue about receivers and amplifiers but I don't need uber loud sound and I usd a simple 2.1 system (Logitech X-230) before so I'm not too spoilt.

(I want to connect 2 - 3 computers to the system. Apple PowerBook, Mac mini and a PC).

Total budget is about $1000.

THANKS A LOT for any answer. Much appreciated

Username: Jjonathan

MarseilleFrance

Post Number: 2
I forgot to mention that my apartment is rather small so I'm looking for rather small speakers. (That's why I liked the Bose Acoustimass 6 so much).

Bronze Member
Username: Huron

Post Number: 38
ok please don`t say bose any more, ok here do research on these, and I can`t help you on a $1000 budget but you can buy some things now to get you started and build a nice system over time, go to, one call, there dumping the hole harmon kardon line right now for half price, you can try for the 12 month no intrest line, other receivers that are good would be integra, nad, pioneer elite, marantz. as far as speakers go, klipch, polk, paradigm, mission, axiom, warfedale, but matching speakers to receiver is important to, and quit looking at cute and cool looking little satellite speakers most of them are crap, ok all of them are crap. and theres a lot more speakers and receivers that are good but this should get you started on a path of home theater coolness

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 247
I generally do not recommend computers for video playback. A stand alone DVD player is cheaper and can provide a much better picture. An Oppo Digital or Panasonic S77 DVD player would be an excellent solution for movies.

For a great bookshelf system that is easy to drive due to high efficiency\sensitivity, I would suggest the Klipsch Cinema 6 system.

For an AV receiver, stay away from Harman Kardon. They have had an extremely high failure rate and that is sad because I has an older unit for many years and always considered them an outstanding mfg.

Any one of the following models should work great with the Klipsch system.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR304&p=i&class=Receiver

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200505&CTID=5000400

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3248.asp

I do not recommend spending much more than the prices on these units because HD audio will be coming out and will quickly make these receivers obsolete but will provide awesome performance, none the less. If you are not going HD theater route with HD DVD or BlueRay, I would not worry about the new receivers and stick with the ones I recommended if you are unwilling to wait or have the cash for the high price the newer models will certainly demand (think around US$1000).

Bronze Member

If there`s no highs or...

Post Number: 67
http://www.integrahometheater.com/ I think the integra would be much better

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 249
Maybe, but far more expensive. His budget is $1000 total.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
sorry I forgot, but then again I thaught the integra DTR 4.6 was $500.00 but its $600.00..the pioneer VSX-1016TXV is $500.00..and Im sorry for my first post, I think I came on to strong, it`s just when somebody says the word bose I go crazy like a naughty circus clown in a bad horror flick, I hope I didnt make you leave jonathan?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
I just did a search on speaker 5.1 and the klipch cinema 6 with the sub is hard to beat, hears a funny one how can these fluance home theater 5 speaker system go for $200.00 or am I looking at it rong, or is there something rong

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 250
Seeing as I can not find one single professional review of their speakers or find any detailed information on their speakers on their website, I would be very suspect of their technology.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 251
Speak of the devil. I just found this article on the new Onkyo with HDMI 1.3a and HD audio support.

http://www.gspr.com/onkyo/txsr605.html

Bronze Member
Username: Tonis

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 15
I too am in the market for a new surround sound system. I'm at odds with what to do with my current Marantz LS-20 speakers, which are over 20 years old but still work great!
The Klipsch Cinema 6 speakers system was recommended here. Would it be ok to run this speaker setup while keeping my Marantz LS-20's as the sides? Would this in effect be a 7.1 surround system? The LS-20's have a 15" woofer, 5.5" mid, 2" tweeter and 2.5" Bullet tweeter.
I've also considered just adding a good center speaker and sub-woofer. Any suggestions? I have some Infinity rear speakers right now.

I have around $500-$600 to spend on a receiver. Any suggestions?

Thank you, as I appreciate any information that you can provide.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 273
Well, since no one else jumped in, I will give it a go.

You could run the Marantz LS 20's as the side surrounds and see how you like them. If you do buy the Cinema 6 system, you can always replace them later if they do not work out. Yes.

Center speaker timbre matching is far more critical to quality surround sound and that means all the speakers should be designed for such use like the Cinema 6. A good subwoofer is important but not at the expense of the other front channel speakers.

I have already suggested the Onkyo for HD lossless Audio.

Bronze Member

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 17
Thanks for jumping in. Those of us with limited knowledge in this area appreciate it :-)

Unfortunately I don't think using the LS-20's on the side would be an option, considering the layout of the room and the size of these speakers. Which are rather large.

If I just went with the Cinema 6, I wonder if the room would be too large for such a system? It measures 30'x20' with a cathedral ceiling. This is one reason why I've wondered if mixing the LS-20's in with the new system would help compensate for the size of the room. Unless you think the Cinema 6 could handle it?

Would you happen to know anything about that BIC America Acoustec speakers? I think retails for around $900. I've heard it was a good system. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 274
Tony,

I think that you are asking a lot of ANY speaker system at a $900 price point for such a large room. I honestly think that you would be better served piecing a system together over time for such a large space. A $500 subwoofer would be a minimum for such a space and that really limits your budget for the rest of the system.

I have not heard the BICs but have read a couple of reviews.

I just do not think there is a magic bullet in your price range. Once of the drawbacks of a large room. But, a large room usually has better sound absorbtion characteristics and that is a good thing.

Maybe taking your current budget and getting a good sub or a good sub and a center channel would be a better way to start until you can afford to expand your system. I know this may not be what you want to hear but I believe in getting good speakers and sticking with them for a long time. Other components come and go but I have one set of speakers that are 40+ years old and still sound better than 95% of the speakers made today. They are the heart of a good audio\video system and skimping usually results in long term disatisfaction and more upgrades.

If this sound like a reasonable solution, we can help you find a system that you can build on and a subwoofer and center channel that will keep you smiling until you can complete the system.

Bronze Member

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 18
I understand and totally agree with you in that one should not skimp when it comes to speakers. Which is what makes this whole situation challenging.

Your advice on piecing together a system is probably the best bet for me. I'm a fan of Klipsch, though I can't say I've listened to a significant sample of different speaker options. Which is going to be one thing I begin doing this weekend. In the long run, I could see myself spending around $3000 or so for speakers. Unfortunatly I don't have that money at this moment.

Going the center/sub route and keeping the LS-20's, what would you recommend for a sub and center for my type of budget ($1000)? For the untrained ear, do you think there would be much conflict between the new center and LS-20's used as the fronts?

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 275
The Mission 700as is a great performing subwoofer in the $500 price range. The HSU VTF 2 comes in a close second at this price range.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~colinf/vtf.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~frank_carter/Nousaine.htm

For a center channel, the Klipsch RC 62 would make an excellent addition to start your system off. The center channel is so important because so much information is relayed through it. I would be proud to own it in my system.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4119020&JRSource=nsa&nsa=1

Between the sub and the center channel, I think you will be VERY happy until your budget recovers. The timbre mismatch will have to be tuned for normal listening levels but the Onkyo is more than capable of taking care of that. It may urge you to find the money for the rest of the upgrade though. the RC 62 is THAT good!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Tony, before you do any buying, do you live in or near an area with dealers of home audio/vidio? I ask this because if you want to build a nice system, you should find out what you like in a speaker, bright or soft, and before that what is your room like

Bronze Member

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 19
Westcott,

Thanks for all the advice. I'd rather be patient and piece a system together, rather than waste money buying something that I ultimately won't be happy with in the long run. Is there a reason why you would recommend the Mission 700 over a Klipsch sub? What kind of system are you running?

Bronze Member

Colfax, CA

Post Number: 20
Angelo,
I live near the greater Sacramento area which has a variety of different dealers. Aside from Fry's and Best Buy, there is also Magnolia's. If you can think of a dealer who is nationwide that you think I should visit, please feel free to suggest one.

My living room is rather large, 30'x20' with a cathedral ceiling. The room is carpeted though will eventually have hardwood in the coming years. Right now my budget is around $1000, though I should have a few thousand more to spend in the next year or so. Being that I'm picking up a Panasonic 50" plasma in a few days, I'd like to get a decent surround system in place now.

I see people talking about Paradigm, Boston, B&W, Klipsch, and a few other names, though I have no knowledge or experience with them. I think the challenging thing for me is that I can go to a showroom and listen to the different setups. Though in reality, how those speakers sound in that environment will surely be different than how they sound in my environment.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 98
yes they will sound diffrent in your inviroment, but I think it is important since you want a nice system for your room that you can be proud of to yuorself and others, you should take your time and plan this carefully, if you get rid of your carpet it will change things a lot. If you go to some speaker sites they will tell you if theres a dealer in your area, the fry`s and best buy`s are usually not knowledgable but at least you can listen to some things, listening fatigue is the thing you dont want, some speakers will give you this and your environment pays a roll, boston, klipsch, axiom, polk, might sound good in a dampened room, but might cause listening fatigue in a bright room, some people like me are after warm and detailed sound that others might not like, but there your ears, and thats why you should find out what you like, a warmer sounding tweater would be like a silk dome type, like era, wharfedale. hears a list of qualty speakers, pinnacle black diamond series, axiom, jamo, wharfedale, era, psb, (b&w) but only the ones you cant aford, monsters, paradigm, mission, I can give you more later if you want. everything I say is open for debate and subject to change

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
wow there go`s my spelling again, sorry
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us