Newbie? HDMI/Optical and Dish HD

Username: Lynchrl

Post Number: 1
I just upgraded my Dish system to HD (WOW) i have a 50" samsung DLP and am using an HDMI conection from the dish receiver to the back of the TV. I am using a optical audio conection from the back of the TV to my A/V receiver. My question is this, to take advantage of a DD 5.1 broadcast should I bypass the TV optical to receiver connection i am using and go optical from the dish reveiver to the A/V receiver? I guess i am confused because HDMI claims to deliver the best audio, but with my current configuration it doesn't seem to work. Thanks in advance

Username: Installations4u

Manlius, NY US

Post Number: 2
HDMI's audio capability is no better than using the single RCA (S/PDIF) digital audio connection. Actually, both are S/PDIF which calls for using a 75-ohm coaxial cable. Since HDMI squeezes both video and audio into a single narrow cable the S/PDIF audio line is probably quite tiny. Using a separate dedicated digital audio cable may improve things. The same goes for optical interconnects, but optical links are not subject to interference like digital over copper.

Username: Lynchrl

Post Number: 2
I should have read the other posts, I thought i was the ony one that had my issue. Thanks for the help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us