Samsung HL-S5086W Digital Output Problem

Username: Davebrandon

Lakeland, Fl

Post Number: 1
Just bought the HDTV. Ran HDMI cables from cable box (Scientific Atlanta / Brighthouse Florida) and DVD player to HDMI inputs on TV. Ran optical cable from TV to reciever (Sony dont know model). Sounds ok BUT doesnt seem to be decoding the digital signal. Same reciever I had before and when it recieved a digital signal a blue light would come on (on the reciever) Doesnt do it now for cable box OR DVD player. The only common denominator is the TV. Is there a setting on the TV ? Is there a monster thats trying to make me nuts? Please help. I have set up a lot of systems and never had this problem.

Username: Davebrandon

Lakeland, Fl

Post Number: 2
More Info !! Should I just go back to the other set up that I was using on the previous set? Component cables to video from both the DVD and cable box, optical out from cable box and digital coax from DVD. My receiver only has one of each (1 optical and 1 digital coax) I really wanted to use HDMI (supposed to be better or cooler or whatever)so that both signals went into the TV and one signal out depending on output that was chosen. Is the TV not decoding the signal?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1443
­
"Is the TV not decoding the signal?"

The TV is decoding the signal all right, otherwise you would hear no audio at all on your external audio system. What it's not doing is passing the digital audio signal to the receiver. Your receiver is telling you that. Are you hearing anything from your rear and center speakers?

I would leave the HDMI cables as they are and use them strictly for video. Then go back to the old setup for audio with the digital feeds from the cable box and DVD going directly into the receiver. There is no reason to believe the audio signal is better via HDMI than the normal DD/DTS digital bitstream on coax or optical. This setup would cause some inconvenience because you would have to switch inputs on both the TV and the receiver. And of course you might have a problem in the future due to the fact that you are out of digital inputs on this receiver. But for now this setup would work better for you.
­

Username: Alymac

Post Number: 1
HELP!!!!!!!!!!
I have a Sharp HD LCD (which has external AVC)
JVC 5.1 Surround with DVD built in
V+HD Box
Joytech 540C Switch Box
Xbox 360
PS2
WII
The PS2 (Component & Optical Digital), WII (Componant & red & White audio) and Xbox (using HD lead supplied with Joytech) are through the Joytech and using Input3 by Component on AVC unit (no sound from WII except for from remotes). V+Box is directly connected to Sharp AVC unit by HDMI and optical digital.
JVC has only one optical in and one red/white audio in.
I need sound from Sharp AVC unit and Cable independent of Joytech (as Joytech does not support HDMI) and both Optical Digital and red/white output from Joytech to JVC Surround. Is there such a thing as an Optical Digital control box that would allow me to extend the number of inputs on the surround sound?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1460
­
Aly, I don't think there's a switch box strictly for optical and analog R/L switching, but here's a 3/1 box with component video including optical/analog stereo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-40324-Video-Digital-Audio-Selector-40324_W0QQitemZ110101 519518QQcategoryZ14968QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem?refid=store

Username: Alymac

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your post John S. I cut my losses and ended up spending the afternoon in Maplins. Am now proud owner of 3-way digital optical splitter and have HDTV DVB, V+HD and Joytech running 3 x games consoles, all with excellant picture and surround sound (except sound on the WII but hope to rectify that tomorrow). I hate AVs but got there in the end.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us