Upscaling dvd player!

Silver Member
Username: Silas92

Post Number: 122
Hi my name is Silas, some of you may have seen me on other threads some may not. Now I am looking into purchasing a upscaling dvd player. Here are a few questions that i would be thrilled if u guys could answer for me.

1) Is it worth buying a upscaling dvd player vs say a standard dvd player or hd dvd or blu ray (too expensive for me)

2) Is the picture a significant improvement?

3) How are they in terms of sound; i hear that the sony DVPNS75H has good sound (correct me if im worng).

4) Here are the two i have been most imppresed with so far:

Sony:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVPNS75H-Single-Upscaling-Player/dp/B000EDK8V4

Panasonic:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DVDS52S-Progressive-Scan-Play/dp/B000ELIBUG

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 104
It all depends on what tv you have. If you have a nice tv, it will probably scale the picture for you. A decent SD DVD player will suit your needs if you have a good tv.

Stefan

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3345
If those are the choices, Panasonic. Sony never could make a DVD player. Yes, upconversion works. It's not HD quality, but it's definitely better than SD. Like Stefan said, your TV may upconvert. If so just get a high bit player, 12-16 bit.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 34
Go here for thorough evaluation of DVD players:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

Extreme SQ FTW

Post Number: 1822
We need downscaling dvd players that convert it from 1080p to 9i

Silver Member

Post Number: 123
I have a Panasonic CT-26WX15 1080i baby!! what i want to know is if they will look as good as say direct tv HD? and whether they sound any good :-) if u can recommend any players below $150 it will be much appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 106
Silas,

I am a little befuddled at the idea of a 1080 res crt. Was the motivation the low price tag?

Anyway, the digital tuner on my Sony tv accepts 1080i signals on hd braodcasts. The picture quality is so much better than SD DVD (even after the tv upconverts a little), but the SD DVDs don't look bad at all. The SD DVDs are so much better than I anticipated. The bad news is that the HDTV programming is most likely the pinnacle of your tv's capabilities. CSI:Miami in HD looks just as good as my Blu-Ray player (except during scenes with more than a little motion).

For the second question, Oppo is a brand that has been raved about. Their upconverting DVD players are $150 and $200 or so. Their advertisments are all over this site. You can read the review at CNET.com.

Stefan

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
Kk well yeh my tv was reduced from $500 to about $250 thats why i bought it. I'm in school so i obviously don't have much money. Having said that the picture quality it puts out at 1080i is spectacular, except in scenes with more motion as u said. I have had a look into the Oppo's and im impressed

Gold Member

Post Number: 3348
CRT makes a lot better HDTV than a lot of others. It doesn't have the problems with moving images LCDs have. It doesn't have a lamp that needs replaced like DLP. It's got great sharpness. And it's reliable technology. It still provides the best bang for the buck. The only drawback is selection is very limited. Oppo has refurb players on their website from time to time if you're on a tight budget. On their website click products at the top, if they have any refurbs, they'll be there. You still get the same warranty.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Alright thanx David, how is the sound output on the Oppo's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3349
It's not hard to find Oppo reviews. Just enter the model you're interested in into a search engine, you'll get reviews. I don't own one, my TV upconverts everything.

Username: Slimwhit33

Post Number: 2
Silas, I actually have the Sony model you reference here, and contrary to what the other poster said, it works very well IMO.

I have it connected to a 47" Sony HDTV and the picture quality is much better than my regular dvd player was.

I compared the two when I bought it. I placed a James Bond Ultimate Collection DVD into the old player. (If you haven't yet seen any of these they are amazing!! The picture is light years better than any of the previously released Bond dvd's!!) It looked very good.

I then hooked up the new Sony and popped in the same DVD. WOW! Much better than the old player.

Worthwhile investment as far as I am concerned.

Silver Member

Post Number: 126
Ok thank you for all the help, i will be purchasing the Oppo DV-970HD in the next week. Hope I'm impressed :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3355
If you could post your impression of the 970 here, that would be great. I've thought of buying one, but after trying the upconversion on my Toshiba recorder, I don't know. The Toshiba upconversion wasn't any better than the TV upconversion, if anything it was slightly worse.

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 180
If you want to make an informed DVD player purchase decision, there is only one site to go to.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Hope this helps.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us