Building my system

Username: Richard_h

Post Number: 1
I am building an HT system and would appreciate some input:

Looking at the Sony Bravia 52" XBR.

Looking at the Denon 4306 or the Yamaha HTR-6090 receivers. Any thoughts on how they compare?

DVD - Blu-Ray or HD-DVD?

Will be using Direct TV HD for my signal.

My budget is around 8K, and I already have Bose Acoustimass surround speakers. Any thoughts or input would be very much appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1237
Bose? Either receiver would do unless you intend to upgrade the speakers. I do like Sony displays, just remember you get what you pay for. If you really do intend to get Blu-Ray or HD-DVD I'd probably wait until they come out with a better player as they don't really have any good players out yet. A PS3 could cover Blu-Ray just fine though. Another thing, right now a lot of BR and HD-DVD discs are recorded as best as they could be. All in all, I'd upgrade the speakers. Personally, I'm looking to get a Pioneer Elite Receiver for it's abilities and reputation. Rotel has good receivers too.

I recommend you ask questions. The more information the better as it helps us know what you're trying to do and what you want.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 386
DVD, or Blu-Ray. VHS, or Beta? Im personally waiting for the format war to resolve itself, but if your dead set on getting one, there is a combo player out but pretty expensive (I cant remember who has it, but will look and post later)
Panasonic is another TV to look into, great pic for the price, Viseo series, tought to beat unless you want to spend MUCH more.
Have you not heard the two recievers? They will sound MUCH different, with the Yamaha being a bit brighter sounding. Do you have access to Harmon Kardon?
Good choice on the Direct TV HD, be sure to get the Tivo! I've had Direct TV for about 7years now, and they have GREAT customer service.
I will agree w/Andre about the (four letter word for speaker) with your budget, I would look into something that will give you a better listening experience for your upgrades, the options are unlimited, so get out and listen.

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 85
The xbox 360 is an option for hd-dvd, but I'd advise you check out the console noise before committing...

I've just got a new xbox 360, I took the first one back as there was a loud wine from the large power supply. The console's cooling fan noise isn't too bad, definely louder than the ps2 though. Putting the console in my av rack helped reduce the fan noise (All of this is irrelevant when playing a game though, the dvd drive at 12x speed is horrendous, way louder than my pc dvd writer, actually rivals my wifes hair dryer for noise).

Anyway, I suspect going this route for a for a hd-dvd player would be ok, I assume the hd-dvd drive would be quiet, but the soft hum of the console's cooling fans could irritate somewhat... if the original large ps2 was too noisey as a dvd player for you, I guess you could rule out the xbox 360 for hd-dvd?

There are also rumours of a ver2 xbox 360 that I think would be better for home theatre use. The rumor is a larger hdd, hdmi output, a digital scaler, and a lower wattage cooler running cpu (therefore much quieter?). There are pictures easily found, just google "xbox hdmi zypher". Oh yeah, the replacement of a digital scaler seems to suggest this version could upscale standard dvds to HD too. Overall, I suspect the PS3 and xbox would only be temporary solutions for most home theatre buffs until the format war ended and standalone player became more mainstream. Oh yeah, I have heard about an LG hybrid HD-dvd/Blue ray player too, and I think one of the studios was trying to develop a hybrid disk, with each format on either side (warners possibly).

Dunno what's going to happen, but I think the most certain thing is there will be one group of cheesed off early adopters when the dust settles :- )

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 387
Why all these recommendations for gaming systems?
I didnt even see that being asked by the OP.
For what its worth, WAIT on the HD DVD/Blu-Ray war to come to some type of resolution, unless you just cant wait, then, I would recommend buying something like the PS3 so that you AT LEAST get a gaming system included.

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 388
BTW, the multi player is a samsung.
Do a google search for HD DVD/Blu-Ray combo players and you will find some links.

Username: Frank_gore

Post Number: 8
I believe the dual HD DVD/Blue-Ray player is made by LG...

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 88
David's point about "at least you get a gaming system" was the thought I didn't quiet get out when I was waffling away earlier :- )

I also googled and found links to both Samsung and LG combo drives... sounds like a good thing, but I guess it might just extend the "war" and increase costs to us lot in the long run?

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 89
ah.. also didn't see David's original post as I was writing my own, appologies.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the input. I had no idea Bose were so poorly regarded. Why is that? I have had this set for 2 years and no issues with them, although my receiver is an underpowered POS. I am stuck with them for now as I am pretty much at the limit of my budget based on what I am currently looking at. Possible upgrade down the road.

A big question on the Bravia I have is the blurring that I have read about on LCD's. In the store the Bravia blows everything else out of the water, but I don't want to spend that kind of money and get it home to find it does in fact blur. Has anyone field tested one? Any thoughts on how it compares with a plasma? My biggest turn off on plasma's is the glare. With the lighting in my room it could be a factor.

I am starting to lean toward the Yamaha receiver, but need to look at the Harmon Kardon and Pioneer Elites...any model recommendations?

And on the PS3, I am really not a gamer, so I am leaning toward a stand alone player.

Thanks again,

Richard

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 93
Bose, how do I put it... you know when you're a kid and you want the best toy ever, and then your Mum gets you the slightly wrong, not quiet right version; its sort of like that... or telling your mates you've bough a motorbike and showing them a 500cc scooter,... "but it can do 100mph, and its really comfy, and I get great milage"

For me the Bose sound tries to capture your attention like new TV's for sale with the brighness and contrast levels turned up to garish levels. With the tv they're trying to catch your eye and have the casual shopper buy the one with the brightest screen. What initally grabs your attention isn't so good with a more discerning look or listen.

With small cubed speakers in general, many people believe speakers of that size just can't and don't offer the same sound quality for the same price as a traditional speaker. With Bose the critism extends futher to an equalised sound with over compensation through the sub.

Some friends have Bose systems, and while they're happy with them and don't think they sound bad, I do wince at how much they spent on them considering the cheap plastic finish (However, I'll admit the Bose alarm clock is pretty cool, but £300 f*cking pounds!!!!???). But hell, I own NAD gear which is very plain and unattractive to many...

Silver Member

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 392
Richard, I've got an LCD in our master bdrm, and although its got a good pic on HD channels, the regular viewing is not the best, and it isnt so much blurry, as it is pixelized, which I guess tends to make it look blurry? follow? It's a Hitachi Ultravision, and about 2 years old, cant remember model number off the top of my head, but it was top of the line when I bought it, so I would think it would still compare to the mid range models of today. Depending on how far away you sit, the pic can be just fine, but I've gotta say, the Plasma in the main room, blows it, and our HD rear projection tvs away. I understand your concern about the glare, but honesty with the difference in pic quality, and just the colors they produce, I would think the glare would be a small issue? Or even a non issue? And would be made up for by the pic quality.
If you can, I once again just recommend at least to go look at the Panasonics, Viseo series, its one of those "bang for buck" items, and a great one at that, I believe it is the biggest selling tv, or brand on the market presently. I compared to Fujitsu, Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, LG, Samsung, and Pioneer Elite lines, and honestly it compared right up there with the best of these lines (Fujitsu, and Elite) but at a fraction of the price. Just a thought.
Sounds like your stuck with the (four letter word for speaker) for a while, but I think that may become a priority once you have the new pic in place, as it will outdo the sound, and that just wont be acceptable!

Username: Dalec

CA

Post Number: 8
Don't pass over the Denon 4306 as a potential receiver in your system. It's a great receiver and has consistently gotten among the highest reviews of that level on the market. I did an extensive comparison myself last year and in the end purchased a 4306 for my system and have no regrets at all and in fact I couldn't be happier. Compared to the Yamaha HTR-6090 I'm confident you would be a lot happier with the Denon. More bucks, but more bang for the buck too.

DaleC

Post Number: 3
Well, after some much consideration and research, I may be able to stretch the budget a bit to accommodate new speakers. Here is what I have come up with, I would appreciate some input.

For starters, I decided to wait on an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray for now to see if one wins out over the other. Also, as opposed to going to a local Best Buy or the like, I have located everything online at the following sites. If anyone has any experience with them let me know. I have read thru the site reviews and tried to select those that combine a good price with good service and a minimum of hassles. Having said that, here they are:

Sony Bravia - ShopDigitalOnline.com
Yamaha HTR-6090 - AbesofMaine.com
Samsung DVD-R135 - BHPhotoVideo.com
Panamax 11 Power Supply - PowerSystemsDirect.com

So, by shopping online I can free up 1000-1200 to spend on replacing the Bose system. With my room set up I am not sure I can really accommodate more than 5.1, as the rear center on a 6.1 system would be right between our chairs, but perhaps it could work out. Any thoughts on a better 5.1 or 6.1 speaker system in that price range?

Thanks again,

Richard

Silver Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 167
I would skip the HD formats and put that money in your speaker budget.

I would skip the Panamax and get an Iosbar like the Tripp Lite. Most good AV components come with good regulating power supplies and with a tight budget, your money could be better spent on better speakers.

Either receiver is good.

I prefer the video quality of DishNetwork over Directv. If you insist on Directv, I have two HD receivers I will sell you for a great price! I have had both so I know what I am talking about. Dish has more programming and the new MPEG4 decoders are the cats meow.

I would skip the Samsung DVD and get a better one. If you are on a budget, the Panasonic S97 or S77 with HDMI is one of the best performers for the money.

Sony, Panasonic, of Pioneer are some of the best displays and all have their strengths and weakness. I feel Panasonic and Pioneer are more reliable at this stage of the game.

With all the money I just saved you, go buy the most expensive speakers you can afford. They are the heart of a good audio system and no amount of expensive components are going to make cheap speakers sound better. I may even go as far as telling you to go with a 3.1 system, for now. Left, Right and Center with a quality sub. You can always use the Bose as rear surrounds until you recover monetarily. By then, if you have taken my advice, you will know what you have been missing and come up with the funds to buy the matching surrounds.

I can not stress enough how important spending the majority of your budget on speakers. I would go as far as saying to get a smaller display and put that money into your speakers. Heck, even a less expensive receiver like the one you have now will still sound better with quality speakers. Quality speakers will be with you long after you have upgraded all the other components you are presently budgeting for so spend accordingly. I have a pair of Altecs that are 40 years old and still sound as good as the day they were acquired. I cant tell you all the other components that have come and gone over the years but it just emphasized how important your speaker purchase is.

I hope this helps and if you need more specific help or want to know why I recommended certain vendors and made no mention of others, shoot us more questions.

Good Luck!

Post Number: 4
Thanks, Westcott, that's a lot of good info. I have decided to go ahead and upgrade the speakers. Any suggestions on something in the 1200 - 1500 range? I plan on going to a few retailers this weekend and listening to a few, and hopefully compare the Denon and the Yamaha receivers.

I did a little research and ran across Aperion...anyone have any experience with them? Looking at the Intimus 5.1 set, comes in right at 1499.00. The reviews look good but would like to get some opinions here. Or any other suggestions on speakers in that price range.

Thanks again,

Richard

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 178
I do not usually recommend speakers because everyone has their own tastes. I am a horn speaker fan. They are very efficient, making an off the shelf receiver a feasible solution without the worry of not having enough power. They are very low in distortion and 70 watts will drive one speaker to 117dB (movie reference levels). Here is a link to a complete system that would fit within your budget. The next step up would be more expensive but if you shopped around you might find it at the right price.

RB-61 system

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rb-61-home-theater-system.aspx

Sorry, have never listened to the Aperions but I do believe they are designed using the Canadian Research Council facilities which is well respected. You may want to do a search on the CRC and see what you come up with.

Hope this helps.

Silver Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 179
I was wrong. Aperion does not use CRC technology.
I was thinking of Axiom. There are several others that use CRC and if I were going to get a direct radiating speaker, I would get one using the CRC.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 13494
I'd be careful about ordering from Abe's or Maine.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Abe_s_of_Maine
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us