Let's get planning

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1235
Here's the deal. You see, I just got news we'll be building a new house sometime in the future and want to take advantage of this chance to start thinking about a dedicated HT room.

I'd like help in learning and figuring out what the possibilities are when creating an HT dedicated room. I know you can basically reinforce the walls and make it a certain size to avoid bad standing waves best you can. A big thing is controlling bass. That's high on my list. Right now there isn't a budget even though it'll be low because I'm just in the learning phase, not picking and buying. Um, thank yee.

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 84
Hi Andre,
I been doing a small bit of research on sound proofing and absorption. I've found that remedial products don't seem to block bass frequencies very well. The matts that looked promising for my floor, block an average of +35dB, but only 10 db at 125hz, and not much at all under that (ie sub frequencies).

All I can suggest is to find out performance of materials over a range of frequencies and not just an average.

Cheers,
Mike

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 385
Andre, you or your parents?
If your serious, there is plenty of info through google, (handy little box up top!)

Bass traps, room treatment, quality gear, and room to breath.

And just food for thought.......................................................there is no "perfect" room.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1572
David, both of us. It'll probably be months before building even starts IF it does. "We" own an 8-acre lot and a 5-acre..but right now things are going slowly. Well I can't upgrade gear, but I can at least make a room that will support quality gear when I finally do get it. My dad supports the idea 90%. I'd probably be putting in an IB for great SPL, bass extension, and musicality, for only ~$1700 (maybe upgrade later). No doubt I'll be moving into my own house within 10 years or so, but I'd like to have a nice 10 years while I can. I read that home theater mag thing and I think a smaller room would be more my taste as we'd only put maybe 8 people in there all at once...probably only have 2 recliners or something..just to start..you know.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1584
As soon as you're ready to recommend?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1599
Am I not making my posts right? Did I not lay out the info right?

I WANT INFORMATION! Isn't there an article on room design and how you can do it?

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 150
Try googling "room acoustics" and other like topics. There are many resources that will set you on the right path.

http://www.acoustics101.com/

This is one of 1,000s to get you started.

happy reading

Gold Member

Post Number: 1635
Thanks. I had never thought to google room acoustics. I always googled ht room design.

So far, I don't know how using an IB subwoofer system is going to affect the effort of room isolation. I'll have to find the way to implement that to avoid the IB bass from shaking the rest of the house so much (movies in the wee hours?) without interfering with the performance of the 4 Fi Q's I know will eventually grace our HT room, if and when we build it. I think for now I should get a more powerful and just all around better HT receiver (Pioneer VSX-82Txv) that will be able to fill the room adequately and keep up with the IB when it's installed. The question is, what would I do with the old Yammy?

Silver Member
Username: Eib_nation

Ohio EIBville

Post Number: 151
No acoustic panel, bass trap, rubber mat.....etc, etc, etc..... will provide the slightest 'soundproofing' benefits whatsoever.

The only way to soundproof your theater from the rest of the house is through construction techniques. (IE... building a room within your theater room(floating walls, floor, ceiling) while using the proper construction materials)

While it's true that properly positioned acoustic bass traps and panels are critical and necessary for achieving quality sound reproduction & flat frequency response, they shouldn't be mistaken for providing 'soundproofing' benefits.

Happy googling
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us