Onkyo HT-S790 ?

Username: Gvw

Post Number: 2
Hi,
I'm looking at the Onkyo HT-S790 from Crutchfield for $419, and I'm wondering if this is a nice ready to go home theater or should I be looking at another system? Also, I'm new to the world of home theaters and wondering will I connect my DVD (HDMI) player to the reciever or will I connect the DVD player straight to the tv?

Thanks in advance,
Glen

Username: Stevec69

St.Louis, Missouri

Post Number: 1
I just bought the Onkyo HT-S790 and I really like it. $400 at Best Buy. It sounds great.

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 32
Hi Glenn - I own the Onkyo HT-S780. It flat rocks. I love it as do most I have read about. The 790 should be better yet. Also, unless the 790 has HDMI input (my 780 does not), then you will want to not use HDMI, but Red, Green and Blue video cable directly to TV from source. Then connect either via digital coax or Digital optical connecter from source to your receiver. HDMI carries Audio and Video. You can not typically run HDMI and Digital audio output from, say, a DVD player. You must use your Red, Green & Blue video and Digital out. By the way, this method is awesome. I could not tell the difference in the picture from component to HDMI. In fact, S-Video and HDMI is not all that different in my opinion. I know others will claim different, but it's slight. The sound is what really makes it as the picture will look great no matter the connection (depends on TV of course). Good luck and enjoy.

Username: Kristaj

Post Number: 1
Consumer Reports really likes The ONKYO HT-S790 by the way. Its one of their top pix.

Username: Kristaj

Post Number: 3
now on another forum I read that this model overheats after 2 hours of use....fyi.

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 39
Mine does get very warm, but I put a small fan on top of it. Many high output receivers get hot, so this is nothing new. Need to vent accordingly.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us