Backing Up DVD Collection?

Bronze Member
Username: Arni0202

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 12
I just realized that when you're backing up your DVD collection using software like DVD Shrink that when you Back it up the software automatically unchecks the DTS option! I've been backing up DVDs without realizing the DTS audio wasn't being transferred. How disappointing. Anyways I thought I'd warn people. DTS is higher quality therefore takes up more disc space so it degrades the video quality a little, but DTS is worth the compromise.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12915
Yes it is:-)

Username: Gixer41960

Adelaide, South Australia

Post Number: 10
I'm sure you are well aware but you can help improve video quality by removing all the menu's etc and removing the credits etc at the end of the movie. That is, unless you like reading the credits.

Silver Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 103
also, its been rumoured the guy who made dvd shrink was hired by Ahead to create the dvd shrink type program in Nero 7 (is it recode 2?). I've used it once or twice. Works the same as dvd shrink with slicker menus and better recode time. Does need slysoft's anydvd or similar to remove copy protection though.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3330
You can always use 2 discs, then there's no need to compress. I never could understand having a backup that's inferior in quality to the original. Why bother?

Username: Josh1005

Norfolk, VA U.S.A

Post Number: 3
what is the point of backing up your DVD's to another DVD i could understand putting them on your hard drive or something like that. but like David said "a backup that's inferior in quality to the original" DTS is a aswome sound format and would suck to lose.

Bronze Member
Username: Arni0202

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 13
I have some DVDs in my collection that are special editions, platinum editions etc. that I don't necessarily want to expose to dust and scratches so I've backed them up so I don't risk damaging the expensive DVD

Bronze Member
Username: Gixer41960

Adelaide, South Australia

Post Number: 26
I back up all of my movies and watch them on a 110 inch screen and there is no way you can complain about the quality of the picture.
Keeping the best sound and making the movie file maximum as possible by removing menu's, special features and end of credits keeps the picture quality of a high enough standard that people wouldn't even know it was a copy unless you told them.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3350
Some movies can be copied without noticable loss, some can't. Once it goes past 90s% compression, the loss is easily noticable to me. There are many movies that go into the 70s% compression, even without anything but the movie itself.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us