Digital Optical Cable **multiple problems**

Username: Arni0202

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 7
First off I'd like to say in advance that I apologize if this is posted in kind of the wrong area. Okay my friend and I have the same type of set up:
40" samsung LCD
SONY DG800 7.1 surround
5 Disc Sony DVD changer

We've been experiencing problems with the Digital Optical Audio performance on A) the DVD player and B) my Xbox 360. The DG800 recognizes the Multi Channel Decoding and the sound is great however when it is in that MULTI CHANNEL DECODING "MODE" we don't get any boom out of our Subwoofers. we tried plugging in the sub to the "multi channel out" from the receiver to the Sub via an RCA cable and that gave us a tiny squeak of bass, but apparently there's no LFE signal coming from the receiver in the MCD mode.
The weird thing is that the MCD is working from my HDTV receiver. All these optical hookups have been set up correctly and with reliable cables. We're wondering if there's a setup error we can't find. Anybody familiar with MCD and not being able to find response for your sub with the optical cable?

Silver Member
Username: Bill984

Post Number: 228
IT MAY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE SPEAKER "SIZE" YOU PICK IN THE RECIEVER SET UP. I HAD TO SET MY "SIZE" TO SMALL FOR THE SUB TO WORK RIGHT.

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 9
So I've been doing a lot of research on the whole Multi Channel Decoding thing and I guess that's just how they've setup the digital sound outputs. each channel carries a pure signal to each speaker offering a wider range of frequencies i.e. each speaker pushes out bass level frequencies without distortion. (is that right?)

therefore the sub is used less. They say that there is a "Discrete Subwoofer Channel" in the Dolby Digital and DTS formats. It's kind of a bummer though when you want earth shattering Bass in a movie and you getless of a growl for bass. anybody else have anything to add to my knowledge please by all means fill me in!

Silver Member

Post Number: 231
something seems wrong, my system is set up using optical cables and the sub from the lfe out. my sub rattles the pictures on the wall facing the sub 15 feet away.dosen't matter if i'm watching hbo or a dvd.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3294
Yes, the sub should pound all you want it to. Make sure the bass output is set to sub, if it's selectable.

Bronze Member

Minneapolis, MN US

Post Number: 11
I've been messing around with my DVD player outs and my Receiver Settings and I think I've got it all tuned the way I like it I set my front speakers to "small" and turned the bass equalizer setting up while turning down the sub bass. It pounds when it's supposed to. I'm satisfied with my 3/2.1 DD set up. thanks everybody

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
great.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us