Devices to TV and digital audio to receiver

Username: Musketeeerx

Post Number: 4
Hi,

I'm looking at some HTIB that only have a couple of digital inputs. One of them the Sony Home Theater System (HT-DDW700)only has one. HOwever, I have three devices that I wish to get surround sound from... Dvd upconver, nintendo wii, and cable box.

I was wondering if you hooked up all your external devices (eg, dvd, game system, cable box) to the tv, and then ran a digital audio wire from the tv to the recevier, would you still get 5.1 surround system with all those devices?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1349
­
Actually, the Sony receiver has one optical and one coax digital audio inputs.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Display ProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=HTDDW700

That still leaves you one short. You did not specify what types your output devices have (coax or optical), but if two of them have optical the solution is relatively cheap and easy. You could get an optical switcher such as this:

http://www.emtcompany.com/products/av-accessories/ads1000-recoton-toslink-optica l-cable-selector-switch-box.htm?gclid=CNrjrs3wnooCFQ6kWAoddmxjmw

Unfortunately, I have not seen a simple and cheap coax (SPDIF) switcher. Most cost as much or more than this Sony HTIB.
­

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3293
The TV would have to have a digital input, mine doesn't, but maybe some do. You couldn't connect the analog L/R to the TV and get 5.1 out of it. Look for a receiver with more inputs. Sony speakers and receivers don't sound very good. Go and listen to some before just deciding you want Sony.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12822
Are you set on getting a Sony HTIB?

Post Number: 5
thanks guys... not set on getting a HTIB... this just seemed to be the best way to get what i needed at a cheap price.

Post Number: 6
The Wii's only has comoponent cables and no digital outputs. It will only produce dolby prologic II.

The Cable Box--digital optical and coax digital(i believe)

The upconverter has digital optical output.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1352
­
Hey guys I'm not a big Sony fanboy, but what's better at under $200?? With speakers...

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4086770&JRSource=nextag.dataf eed.SON+HTDDW700

"The Wii's only has comoponent cables and no digital outputs. It will only produce dolby prologic II."

Component cables carry video only. The Nintendo must have some sort of audio output....

"The Cable Box--digital optical and coax digital(i believe)

The upconverter has digital optical output."

It's rare for a cable box to have both optical and coax outputs, but if so you could use the optical out on the DVD and the coax out on the cable box. If the Nintendo does not have either type of digital audio output, you cannot get 5.1 surround out of it. If it has R/L audio line outputs, you could connect it up to the receiver that way.
­

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12865
So true!

Username: Wader

Post Number: 3
On the Wii audio output:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/733/733464p7.html

. . . Wii does not feature an optical output and therefore no support for the Dolby Digital surround sound standard. Like GameCube, Wii's audio output consists of left/right analog channels that simulate surround sound using the Dolby Pro Logic II matrix. Most, if not all Wii games will run in Dolby Pro Logic II. . .

Username: Siksika

Post Number: 1
I hope I'm in the right place but here goes.
I recently bought an LCD HD TV to replace a rear-projection HD.
The new TV has an HDMI connection whereas the old one didn't. In the old one, I ran the digital audio from my HD receiver through a toslink to the system receiver. For video, I hooked up component cables from the HD receiver to the TV.
I'm using the same setup with the new LCD. Do I need HDMI if I'm using the toslink for digital audio?
If using HDMI is recommended, then I would still have to run the audio from the TV to sound system receiver. It seems to me that would be taking the long way around; HD receiver to TV to system receiver.
The guy who sold me the TV said I don't need HDMI if I'm using the TV for video only and not for sound. He said the HDMI video quality doesn't differ much from component quality.
If that's true, can the same be said for digital audio quality directly from the receiver through a toslink to the system receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1147
I would just recommend what you did with the rear-projection.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1363
­
"I would just recommend what you did with the rear-projection."

Yeah, what Andre said. Upload There's no need to fix what already works. HDMI will not improve on the Dolby Digital signal you get on some channels over the toslink cable you've been using.
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us