Yamaha htr-5930: DVD problems

Username: Indiec

Post Number: 1
I don't set up receivers all too often, so sorry if this is a really dumb set of questions.

Just bought a Yamaha HTR-5930 and I cannot seem to get much audio out of the DVD player. First, the radio works fine, so I know the speakers are hooked up correctly. When I was testing the DVD, all I could hear was the subwoofer and nothing was coming out of the central and front speakers (haven't hooked up the tweeters). The regular audio is coming out of the TV, however. I have the DVD's digital coaxial hooked up to the receiver's DVD digital coaxial input jack, and at the same time I have the coaxials plugged to the DVD's output and the receiver's jacks. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can't seem to connect to my DVD's component output because the video turns out b&w, so I've plugged into the DVD's regular output jacks. If I'm not plugged into the DVD's component jacks, do I need to make sure that I'm not plugged into the Yamaha's component jacks, or are those interchangeable? What exactly is the difference between the component and the non-component set of jacks?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3287
Unless you really need the receiver to switch inputs, connect the component out of the DVD straight to the TV. You probably need to set the player's digital audio output to bitstream.

Username: Indiec

Post Number: 2
Thanks, David. I'll try the suggestion on the video as well as the bitstream setting. If I connect the receiver to the component using both the digital coaxials and and regular coaxials, is one canceling out the other and creating problems? Like I said, I can only hear the subwoofer. Or is my problem likely related to the settings on receiver itself (on the front)?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12744
Check your receiver's setting and make sure that the audio part is on "Auto-Detect".

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 339
Hooking up the Digital coax and the Anolog audio(red,white) will not cause a problem. When using a multi-room setup you have to do that way because Digital connection will not feed a multi room setup. Your problem is a setup problem, you can not just take these components out of there boxes plug them in and expect them to play. Like Berny said set the receiver Audio mode to Auto so it will pick up the correct digital signal and turn on the bit stream in the DVD player.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us