DCM Home Theater

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 63
Hi,

I'm currently upgrading my existing home theater. I just got the Marantz SR4001 reciever to power my existing L/R channels (DCM TIMEWINDOWS which are great). Now, I want to get a center channel worthy of my system, albeit an entry level system. I was told to get another DCM speaker to act as the center channel. It would replace some crappy Panasonic HTIB center channel so I know that most everything would be an improvement. DCM currently has three high quality center channels, and one that is part of a HTIB system. If anyone is familiar with DCM or center channels in general I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Also, a major problem occured to me as I was writing this post. The Marantz will be here sometime this week and so I am preparing for it. My current system is a Panasonic HT-730. This system uses the Panasonic SB-WA730 subwoofer. This subwoofer only has one input and it is a really large data cable that runs from the DVD Player. I don't want to have to field the expense of a new subwoofer so if someone could please help I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12668
Let us wait on the results of the incoming Marantz receiver before tackling that issue with the subwoofer.

Chances are, your DCMs have been designed when a separate subwoofer was still not de rigueur compared to today's home theater needs. As such it should provide you with enough bass given the proper settings of your incoming receiver.

When it does come in, you will be going through a set-up process. From here you will configure the receiver to play with your speakers. You will be given choices if you are using a subwoofer or not. If you configure the receiver without a subwoofer, it will then default to sending all signals and power to the front speakers without cutting off frequencies meant for the subwoofer. In essence the subwoofer on your DCMs will be able to use these signals and a separate sub will not be needed. So wait until then.

If not...you will be needing a subwoofer anyway because your Panasonic sub will be totally inadequate.

This is getting expensive, isn't it?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1114
Stefan:

I bought my DCM TimeWindows in 1980--they were the first great speaker I ever owned ($800/pr. then!). About 8 years later, I moved into a small house and they were too big for the room I had, so I loaned them to my dad. A few years later, he died and my mom left them in their old house when she moved across country. I really miss'em. That was a very fine speaker.

Although yes, you should generally look into a center speaker from the same manufacturer, you should know that DCM was sold by the people who made the TimeWindows to an asian company who started making very generic sounding speakers, sold through any discount chain that would take them. Essentially, they gutted the brand. The problem is that what is made now bears no resemblance to your TimeWindows, sonically speaking, so you may need to find something else. I have not seen DCM outside of Circuit City, so you seem to know more than I do about what they offer. Whether any of their current center channel speaker offerings will work with the TimeWindows is something you will have to determine. The bottom line is that you simply need to try some out to see if you get a "seamless" image across the front.

Berny is right, of course, to suggest that you need to get the Marantz installed before trying to solve these other issues. However, not having a subwoofer is not necessarily a problem. Berny is right that the TimeWindows (which each have a pair of 8" woofers) may well provide enough low end for most situations. The subwoofer really only provides serious reinforcement in HT applications, so unless you are watching a DVD, you probably won't miss much, especially since your panasonic sub probably doesn't go all that low. Down the road, you can add a $299 sub from HSU or Outlaw that will utterly embarrass your current panny sub. Just be sure that when you set up your system, the main speakers are set to "Large" and not to "Small."

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 65
Hawk,

Thanks for the info. I got my info from the DCM website:http://www.dcmspeakers.com/heritage.htm

That link was from Berny, who doesn't appear to have an opinion about the DCMs (correct me if I am wrong Berny) Either way, the three that they offer are exactly on the low, mid, and high points of my price range, $80-$250. Without knowing which type of speaker will best work with the TIMEWINDOW, what type of center would you recommend. Or, if you do know, what type of center would work best with my speakers.

Thanks for the help, Stefan

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1121
Stefan:

What is your budget for your center speaker?

What are your size constraints, if any (any limit on how big the speaker can be to fit a cabinet, etc.)?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12675
You are right Stefan, I cannot give an opinion on DCM. I have no listening experience on that model.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 67
Hawk,

My budget is $100-200, although I would spend (maybe) up to $275, if you think it is worth the difference. As for placement, that's another question. I currently have the center on the top of my tv. It seems as the the sound is too high. But then I put it on the tv stand in front of the tv. What is the optimal placement? I would appreciate your advice too Berny, if you have any input on speaker placement.

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12679
Ideally speaker placement should be at ear level when at the listening position. But we all know that utopian ideals never apply to the real world:-)

If the center is placed too high, point it down aimed at your listening position and vice versa if it is low.

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1126
Stefan:

Well, without hearing the DCM center speakers with your TimeWindows, it is very hard to make a specific recommendation. However, I would suggest that the TimeWindows are a superb speaker and would probably work best with the DCM top of the line center speaker which appears to be the TFE60C. However, given budget constraints, you may want to try the TP160C. I would not go lower than that.

I assume you have a retailer nearby that has these speakers at the price points you mentioned. Take one home and try it. If you don't get a "seamless" image across the front, then you know that the center speaker doesn't match and you need to take it back. If either the center speaker or the TimeWindows seem to sound less defined--"smeared" in other words--then the center doesn't match.

Other than DCM, the only thing I might suggest for your budget might be a PSB center speaker. Here is a source that offers PSBs at very attractive prices:

https://dmc-electronics.com/Default.htm

I would try the DCMs first, though.

Good luck!

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 68
Hawk,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will go to my local stero store right after my Marantz comes in. One thing that I would like to know in advance is what media will allow me to best decide if the DCM center is right for me. Like the THX video calibration for my monitor, is there an appropriate way to configure the speaker. And then when that is complete, is there a good DVD to test compatibilty between the L/R and the center?

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12695
The media that will allow you to best decide is media that you are familiar with. Something you are accustomed to listening...do not use the material used by the store. If you are familiar with the samples, you will be able to listen for things that you don't usually hear and those which you thought was there and are now missing.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 70
Hi guys,

I'm back with a quick question about subwoofers. (My new reciever will be here soon and I am quite excited). I realize that if the answer to this first question is not positve then the second is moot, but I will ask anyway.
My Dad has a pair of REVEL F30's. Recently one of the woofers started to sound distorted. The easiest thing for him to do was to simply ask REVEL for a new woofer (under warranty=free:-)). My question is about the old woofer. The problem with this woofer is that when you press against the front of it with your finger, back and forth, it makes a sound like you are softly rubbing two pieces of paper together. Upload
I don't know what this means but if someone does it would be very helpful to me.
Secondly, if the first situation is fixable, what would it take; components, tools, money, to make this into a powered subwoofer, from its present state?
As an add on, does the subwoofer need to be powered? My receiver is a MARATNTZ SR4001.

Thanks, Stefan
Upload

Gold Member

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1163
Stefan:

Can't opine whether the woofer driver can be fixed, but if you want to use it in a DIY subwoofer, here is a website that will provide you with everything you need to build your own subwoofer, all at a price you can live with:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=30

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 71
Thanks,

One more question. What factors determine how much wattage I need? I know this is not neccesarily realistiv, but I would like to spend less than $100 total, for the cabinet (used maybe?) and the amp, but I do not want to compromise performance.

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12787
Realistically and practically...your ears will determine what you need, it is not the watts.

Here is what you can do. Go to a run of the mill big box audio store and listen to different subs WITHOUT paying attention to the ratings. Do not even let the rep give any information on the sub nor let them dazzle you with specs. Bring your own material and listen...then choose which one you like better. Find the specs if you are interested and you will have answered that question.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 72
Hi,

Another thing I forgot. I think that this is pretty unlikely but, is there a place online where people show tutorials about deconstructing high end gear in detail? Specifically, the F30 woofer (neither my Dad nor I can open the stupid thing.

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12793
I certainly doubt that. Are you trying to disassemble the speaker's housing?

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 73
Berny,

Yes. You can see a picture of the speaker in question above and we would like to get into the middle part to poke around. If that is not feasible, what is the best way to diagnose without seeing the imiportant parts?

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12797
You could try prying off the dust cap to get into the middle part.

If you hear a rubbing noise, chances are, the wire wound around the coil is warped and rubbing against the magnets.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 74
Berny,

Thanks, I'm going to go to my speaker store today to find out more. On another related subject, how much power do you think is appropriate? My HT room is very large, connected to the kitchen, although, at the TV, the room is about 15'. I want enough power to blow people away, although I will not be using as described for more than 15% of the time. Last and most problematic, I don't want to pay very much.

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12799
Big room with enough power to blow people away on a tight budget. Very tall order for $100.

You can go the DIY route, but you may want to stretch your budget a bit.

Here is a 300 watt BASH amp, but it is more than your budget plus you have to worry about the cabinet and the driver.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-750

Have you looked around the used gear market?

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 75
Berny,

I am definetly considering a used cabinet, especially since a new cabinet for a 10" sub is at least $90 by itself (more than my budget). I may already have the driver so the $100 is just for the amp. What is the best method for connecting the sub to the reciever?

Thanks, Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12800
The best method for Home Theater application is connecting the powered sub via the subwoofer output of the receiver. The Marantz should have this feature.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 77
Hi,

I apologize because this thread has become a miscellaneous Q&A but here I am, back with more irrelevant questions. Thanks in advance for the help.

I am getting a 7.1 receiver, but even with an optical cable, as I understand, it is only a 5.1 source signal. So, how does the receiver create the extra two channels? What I mean is, what information is being played through the 6th and 7th speakers? Is it just the same as the L/R, or maybe is it the same as the surrounds? I really have no idea.

Thanks, Stefan

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 80
Hi guys,

The Marantz actually came in last night. I spent the evening setting it up, in between scenes of "24". The bass off the DCMs is phenomenal. I don't think I will need a sub any time soon. The DCMs are a huge step up from the stupid thudding from the Panny sub. I watched tv using an optical cable from the digital out from my tv. The problem with this is that it will only transport a digital signal from the tv. For analog channels (most of them) I need to use some RCA cables. Here's the problem, when the receiver is on the "analog tv" setting, the remote doesn't really function. Any advice on this would be helpful.

To test if the center channel was matched to the L/Rs, I sat right between the left and the center and the sound was choppy going from left to right. Is this the symptom of a poorly matched center? Should I replace it? If so, what is an appropriate center in the $100-300 price range?

Last question. This is regarding speaker height for rear channels. I am using Sony bookshelf speakers that are 20" high. They are on 20" shelves. They have three drivers and the midrange drivers are at ear level now. The Marantz booklet says 1 meter above ear level, but I have heard that too high is not the way to go. What are your opinions.

Thanks for the advice,
Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12943
Stefan,
Depending on your source material, the 7.1 signals are sent via the optical or digital cable. Those cables are not exclusive to 5.1 only signals. Your DVD player will send the appropriate encoding and your receiver will do its job.

Unless you're source is encoded in 7.1 the 6th and 7th speakers are just using a mtrixed signal from the regular surrounds.

If you are experiencing a choppy transition from left to center to right, then yes you have poorly matching center speakers.

First try to remove the center channel during your speaker set-up and determine if a phantom center will work with your set-up. And if it is not to your liking, contact DCM to get the speakers that will match as close to your original DCMs as is possible.

As far as height levels, there are many suggestions on what is "ideal". The best way to do this is listen for yourself and determine which is appropriate for you. The 1 meter height is a good starting point as any.

Your left, center and right front speakers are ideal at ear level when at the listening position, but then again you know how ideals are :-)

You've heard a lot and you've done a lot of research, but in the end you have to make the determination on which set-up is the best for you.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 81
Berny,

Thanks for the continuing advice. I am almost ready to venture out and precision calibrate the system on my own. The last remaining obstacle is the center channel. The problem with this is that my receiver doesn't have, so I have heard, a phantom center configuration. What do you suggest?

Thank you very much,
Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12945
During your speaker set-up, you will be asked for center speaker. You will have choices of large, small, normal or off. Turn it off and the left and right speakers will take of the rest.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 82
Berny,

Thanks, I will try that later today.

In the mean time, I have one more pressing question. There are at least a few surround sound music albums on DVD-A that I would love to listen to. But I have no money left after building my system. Is it possible to download and then burn 5.1 soundtracks to DVDs on a pc with just a net connection and a dvd rw drive?

Thanks,
Stefan

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12946
Right now, I have not seen any program that can do that reliably as they are mostly copy protected. You can download but I do not know if they are encoded for 5.1 or multi-channel recording.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us