"A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing (That's a Good Thing)"

Bronze Member
Username: Tunasalad

California US

Post Number: 57
That was how about.com described Oppo's DV-970HD DVD Player. The idea behind this player is that it is the same quality as more expensive players, while maintaining a sub-entry level price ($150). How would this player stack up against, say, the Marantz DV4001 ($329) specifically? For my own situation, I have been told that any DVD player would look better than mine (Panasonic HT-730), even though the final scaling happens inside my TV (Sony Grand Wega SXRD 50"). On this subject I would appreciate all advice and recommendations for any comparable device (in the sub $400 range).

In a closely related matter, I found the second half of this phrase from Oppo's website review of the DV-970HD very confusing:
"Multiple high definition video formats through HDMI and component outputs*: NTSC: 480i/480p/720p/1080i; PAL: 576i/576p/720p/1080i (* Component output for CSS-encrypted DVD discs (almost all commercially pressed DVD discs) is limited to 480i/480p only.)"
I will not likely be using the component output, for other reasons, but I would like to know why the video quality on the component is limited. The two explanations that I thought of are "The component outputs on this player are inferior to that of other players" and "The player only supports 480p through any mode of outputting"

To me, neither of those explanations make 100% sense, but, I am a relative newbie into the consumer electronics hobby. I appreciate anyone sharing their expertise,

Thanks, Stefan

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3268
Basically it's a copyright thing. All upconverters are that way, or almost all.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 58
Thanks David,

In addition to my Oppo vs. Marantz question, I now have an Oppo vs. my existing Panasonic question. Before I continue, I have to thank Berny and David for helping me to get this far. Maybe, what I need is a player that is good at 480i. Would the Oppo player outperform my Panasonic at 480i resolution? Would a better 480i signal (after upscaling by the tv) change the picture quality? If so, is it worth the $150? (I am trying to remove the Panasonic, so even if the Oppo was only slightly better, I may be willing to get it so I never have to see the Panasonic again)

Is getting an upscaling player and then using it at SD or just getting a nicer SD DVD Player even a rationale solution? Please advise

Thanks, Stefan

Gold Member

Post Number: 3270
I'd be looking for a high bit player if you want to use 480. The Oppo probably wouldn't be any better, it's advantage is upconversion. Look for a 12 or 14 bit player. Most Panasonic players are known for pretty good PQ.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 61
Ok

But would the Oppo player on my tv (at any resolution) look better than a good SD DVD player?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3271
I doubt a $150 player is going to upconvert better than a $2000 TV will. I guess you'd just have to try if you want to find out. If anything I think my TVs upconversion was slightly better than my $400 DVD recorder's upconversion.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 62
David,

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was, how would the Oppo player (at standard definition) compare against any other SD DVD player (such as the Panasonic)?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3273
I haven't tried one, so I really can't say. You're best bet would probably be to try a 12 or 14 bit player from an electronics store where you can return it if the PQ isn't better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3275
If you want info on the 970, go here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=fd18f95f45ffdc79382d28ade13d855a &t=682896&page=1&pp=30

It might take a few days to read it all.

Bronze Member

California US

Post Number: 64
David,

Thanks for the link. I did not need to read any more than the first post to discover something unsettling about HDMI that I somehow had not realized at this point. The digital audio bandwith is proportional to the digital video bandwith, so, outputting at 480i, as I wanted to try, would only support 2 channels well. Meaning that if I tried to use 5.1 channel there would be major problems. This point, while it has no effect on me cause I can just use an optical cable, makes me wonder what other hidden "landmines" of this nature exist in HDMI.

If anyone knows, I would appreciate the info

Thanks, Stefan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us