Surround Sound on TV

Username: Chattipatti

Post Number: 1
I hooked up my JVC THC50 home theater. All seems to be working fine. My question is this.
When a TV show is broadcast in surround sound will all of my 5 speakers work?
Now, I am hearing just the front left and right.
Thanks for any help. I am a newbie at this.

Username: Linuxpimp

Post Number: 2
Hi

I am no expert either, but you should be have a setting (usually on the remote of the home theater) that controls the speakers. Usually called "sound field". This will control what speakers are used. The surround on the TV only affects how the sound is distribbuted between the speakers not if it disctributed between all speakers.

I would suggest you consult your users manual for the exact setting.

Hope this helps

lp

Gold Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 1028
Well, most TV shows are encoded with Dolby Pro Logic II like the Simpsons for example. It should say at the beginning of the show if it's in mono or stereo or if you have satellite it'll show in the information, a lot of times stereo means that Dolby Pro Logic II is possibly encoded. That's all I know.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12633
"When a TV show is broadcast in surround sound will all of my 5 speakers work?"

Your home theater receiver is capable of reproducing surround sound. Whether it is in "true surround" is a different matter. Just because the banner on the show says it is simulcast in surround or high definition audio, it does not necessarily mean that you will be getting these benefits. Check with your service provider and they can provide you with more detailed guidance.

Another thing you need to check is how your cable box (if you have one) is connected to your receiver. If you are using a regular RF cable, you are most likely just getting stereo sound and your HT is processing it to surround. If you are connected via digital audio cable, then you should be getting surround sound if the cable company is broadcasting in surround mode.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your help everyone. I am beginning to understand a little better.
I don't have a cable box. I have my cable run to the vcr, and am using s video and the red, white cable from tv to receiver. I do have the inputs to the receiver plugged in the vcr inputs. My source on the remote in order to hear from the speakers is vcr. Maybe that explains a little better.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12635
The red and white audio cable will only give you a stereo source. If you want it in surround sound you can leave that task to the receiver, but it will not be in true surround.

Post Number: 3
Your right Berny. I just got off the phone with the cable company. They will be out Weds. to install the digital cable box for me. So, then I should be able to get true surround sound.
Thanks to all for you responses. It has helped a newbie like me alot.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12637

Post Number: 4
I have one more question, When I get the digital cable, will I still have to have the S video wires hooked up or will just the cable be ok?
Seems like there are so many wires hooked up to everything.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12653
That really depends on the kind of cable box you will be getting. If it comes with component video outputs or S-video outputs, it may even have HDMI and digital audio outputs.. Wait until you get the cable box or call your provider once more and find out the kind of outputs it will have.

Post Number: 5
OK Berny, seems one cannot get away from all those wires....LOL.

Bronze Member
Username: Alright_boy

Post Number: 18
Wire makes the world go round.

Post Number: 6
OK, cable guy came today and hooked up my digital cable box. So, I have to wait and see if there are any broadcast's tonight in dolby digital 5.1. I have my surround sound setting on receiver to auto surround? At this setting will it automatically pick up on what is being broadcast and all speakers will work? Or is there another setting I should have it on. By, the way, the cable guy said he could not hook my vcr up to everything as I did not have an s video. I had it working before he came. I think he did not want to be bothered to do it.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12689
Leave the receiver on "auto detect" setting and you are good to go. If you do get digital broadcasts, then your receiver will be able to handle it.

If you a have VCR in the mix, you need to check the inputs that are available on your TV if you still want to use it. You do not need an S-Video cable if you have a composite video input on your TV...color coded yellow.

Post Number: 7
Thanks Berny. I am smart enough to know that I did not have an s video hooked up to the vcr before. This guy just did not want to mess with it. I will hook it up like I had it before. It worked fine then.
Thanks again for your help.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12690
Cable guys...hah!:-)

No worries, enjoy your toys.

Post Number: 8
Well, I had the tv on all day from the time the cable guy left. I waited for the prime time shows to come on, and I did not get any of them in surround sound. Also, one thing I found out is this. Why would he have my tv set to where I can only view it when I have it set to Video2 ?
I don't understand that. So, even if my vcr were hooked back up to it I would not be able to view it as I need channel 3 to be on. How can I reset the cable box to where I don't need it to be on Video 2 to watch it? This has me puzzled. I found out by trying to change channels on the receivers remote, when I did the tv went all snowy, so I tried different things and when I clicked on the tv/vcr thing the video1 came up,nothing, and then the video2 came up and there was the tv picture.......This is a pain in the butt..Hope I don't have to call the GEEK SQUAD...LOL.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12702
Well, first we need to check how your cable box is connected to your receiver. Look at the audio output of the cable box. How is the connector coming out? Is it using 1 single connector to your receiver?

Check to see if it is using an digital optical audio or digital coaxial cable.

Post Number: 9
Sorry it took me so long to reply Berny. But you know the saying when it rains it pours. Well, my modem went out on computer, so had to wait for a replacement from ISP. I will look at the back of everything later and get back to you.

Post Number: 10
The only thing that I can see is there are a red, yellow and white cable coming out of cable box to the receiver. Also there are 3 heavy wires that are attached to the cable box. 2 of them don't go anywhere but the cable box and the 3rd is the black cable from the wall into box.
I hope thats what you meant, but thats all the wires there are on the cable box. Then he has just a yellow wire from the tv to the receiver.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12809
From your description, I do not see a digital audio output, hence you may not be getting true surround sound.

What model cable box is it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Motorola......
Well, isn't that just my luck?
Is there anything that can be done?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12811
Specific model number?

Look again in the back and see the type of outputs. It should have labels.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
I could not find a specific model number on it.
It says Motorola, Dolby Digital, Interactive Communications.
On the back there are on top: Audio In with a red and white hole with nothing in them.
On the bottom: Audio Out with the red, white and yellow in.
There is a spot on the lower left side for a vcr to be put in, but he has nothing there.
From the picture in the booklet that he left, this does not look like the back of mine. I am going to go to the cable site and try and get a picture of it for you.
Thanks Berny

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
I looked on cable site. The motorola boxes they have are not the one that is hooked up. The backs of them are different than mine.
I am sorry that I can't be more help Berny.
Maybe I should take it all apart and try and do it myself. Although I doubt I would get it to work right either.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
The one that looks the most like mine is the
Motoroloa DCT2244.
I got to see a pic of it on ebay, just the front not the back.
Hope that helps.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12816
If it is the DCT 2244, then you only have stereo outputs which are the red and white RCA jacks. Unfortunately, this will not provide you with true surround sound. You need a cable box that has an SPDIF output. This provides digital audio when connected to the digital audio input of your receiver.

The yellow jack is for video and usually connected to the video input of your TV. This output does not provide high definition. You may want to contact your cable provider and have them give a cable box with a digital audio output.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Thank You so much for your help with all of this.
I did not see any SPDIF output.
I will call the cable company tomorrow. Maybe I will have this all figured out by weeks end.
You have been a great help to me.
Pat

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Finally got the cable guy to come out with the right box, and he did the right hook ups. All is working well.
Thanks again Berny for all your help.....
I know where to come if I need info.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12944
You are welcome :-)
Enjoy your Home Theater!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us