Dolby digital question

Username: Darth_hokie

Post Number: 1
I have a 50" Samsung DLP and a Sherwood 5.1 surround reciever w/ comcast HDTV cable box.
I recently purchased a PS3. I have both my PS3 and cable box run to my TV via HDMI cable w/ a digital optical cable running from the TV to the reciever. I do not seem to be running in 5.1 only Dolby pro. My thought was to use the HDMI for the video and run the PS3 and cable box digital audio outs straight to the reciever, however, both only have Digital Optical outs and my reciever has only 1 input. My question is, would a digital optical spliiter or a digital optical to digital RCA coax be best for what I want. I have found both online and price is not much different either way. A little input would be helpful thanks.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1325
­
Glenn, I think the simplest and cheapest fix is a switcher.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302 &p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2&style=

You could also convert one of those Toslinks into coax. You can see a converter that does that for just over $12 on the same page. I don't think it matters which way you go. Personal preference.
­

Username: Darth_hokie

Post Number: 2
thanks for the response, I was leaning towards a converter, simply so i wouldnt have to switch it manually, since id probably hide it behind the tv, it would be a hassle to reach around behind it each time i wanted to switch.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us