Need advice: Best Bang for the Buck?

Username: Erik_troberg

Post Number: 1
Hi- in the process of setting up a new HT... and need some advice on sound.

I was planning on using my existing sound system, until my audiophile buddy referred to my system disdainfully as "Home Theater In A Box" (while looking down his nose at me).

My budget is pretty much all used up (a 1080i projector can do that to you), so I'm looking for advice on how to get a large improvement in sound for the least amount of money.

1) Get a new subwoofer. Seems lame to me... the powered woofer I have now seems plenty adequate.

2) Get a new, high quality center-channel speaker. But then I heard the guy on DIY TV's "Home Theater Workshop" mention timbre-balanced speakers. Obviously, a new, mid-quality center speaker wouldn't be timbre-balanced with the existing HT-In-A-Box speakers.

3) Get a new amp. (?)

4) Other options?

Details: Yamaha HT-in-a-box system, cost like $500 new five years ago. Big-@$$ 1080i projector, 120'-diagonal Screen-Goo screen, room pretty much able to handle any speaker setup. Budget: wife will divorce me if I spend more than $600.

All advice appreciated!

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12473
What do YOU find lacking in your system? Your friend's input is irrelevant and if you are changing because you want him to like your system...you are going about it the wrong way.

What kind of system does your "friend" have?

Do you think your friend will be impressed with a $600 system?

Username: Erik_troberg

Post Number: 2
Oh, there's no way I can impress my buddy short of spending $2000 on just the L and R speakers... he actually recommended I buy these:

http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=54

Anyway, I can't really say that I find anything lacking with the current system. However, I've only ever had it matched up against a 27" 480i CRT TV. In a short while, I'll be matching up this system up with a 120" 1080i/720p projected image.

What I want to avoid is having a big beautiful HD image, in a big beautiful dedicated room, with big beautiful leather seats, and tinny thin audio.

My buddy did mention that with HT-in-a-box speakers, you often have trouble hearing dialog because of the underpowered center channel. In retrospect, I've sort of noticed this (i.e. turning up the volume during dialog, and turning it down during car chases). This makes me want to get a new (non timbre-matched) C speaker.

But then, I've also heard that the Sub is the best bang for the buck. But I've always thought my sub was fine, if not a little overpowering.

Silver Member
Username: Arande2

400dB could probably d..., SouthWest Mi... Too Many DBs...

Post Number: 871
What exactly do you currently have (makes it easier for us)?

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1057
Erik:

I think this is easy. You have, in your own words: a "Big-@$$ 1080i projector, 120'-diagonal screen" (boy I sure hope you mean 120 inches, not feet!), and yet you have a $500 HTIB from Yamaha. Well, that's like putting bicycle tires on a Ferrari. It rolls, but in no way does it rock. With a big screen image, puny HT sound is going to sound tinny and un-convincing.

Your Yamaha receiver is designed to work with those speakers, so there is no sense in getting new speakers. You want to make a real upgrade to your sound? Get a new receiver, plain and simple, and don't skimp either. You can change the speakers later, but a new receiver that is cleaner sounding with bunch more power will make a huge improvement in your sound.

No sense in risking divorce. Here are a couple of receivers that will rock the house and will be good enough that you will hear an instant improvement. If your wife is like mine, and I am sure she is, she will hear the difference, too, which will make her more accomodating when you want to upgrade the speakers later on (mine was). Check these out:

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/MARSR5600

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1174158120

You will need to move on one of these if you want them as both are recently discontinued for newer units, so the supply is very limited. Both are excellent units and these are superb prices, well within your price range. Most of all, as I said, you will hear a real difference, and getting one of these will get your audiophile buddy off of your back (especially the NAD).

Silver Member

Post Number: 872
Yeah, I totally support what Hawk said. I've asked the salesman if I could bring in my own receiver to see how it changed the sound compared to the receiver they were using at the time. After I calibrated all the levels I then listened and switched receivers, there was a HUGE difference in quality between the receivers (a Pioneer Elite is what they were using and I brought in a Yamaha). Even though their ratings were similar, the Pioneer had plenty of power while the Yamaha ran out of steam quickly. The Pioneer had a much cleaner and more correctly blended sound than the Yamaha. Of course, the Pioneer had a much better processing ability as well, compared to the (way) lower-end Yamaha.

Most importantly (to me), the Pioneer had a huge lot more abilities and things on it making it possible to get the sound just the way it was meant to be heard. That's what a good processor can do for the sound, along with a much stronger amp and power supply!

I hope to test out other units as well before I make a decision (and have the money!).

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1059
Good luck, Andre!

Silver Member

Post Number: 874
Thank you!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us