Help needed on optical to phono conversion

Username: Inclement_weather

Post Number: 1
Hi,

Apologies upfront if this has been covered elsewhere but I'm new to all this and may have made a rash purchase.

I've bought a Panasonic SC-HT545W home cinema system (mainly because of the wireless surround). I'd like to output the Optical audio from my Sky box into the DVD/Amp but there only appears to be a standard phono input (L/R sockets).

I've done some reading and can see a converter from Optical to Coax digital cable but nothing to convert to a 2 plug phono connection. Is there no way that I can convert the Optical audio out from the Sky box to input to the L/R phono connectors on my DVD/Amp and preserve the 5.1 sound ?

Any help would be good !!!

Thanks,

IW

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 71
Sorry, but the stereo (L/R) input connections cannot carry 5.1 surround information. In order to have surround from your Sky box, you must have an optical or coax audio interface. The best you can do is 'simulated' surround from the stereo inputs. You might want to re-think the choice of the SC-HT545W if it's not too late to return it. Lack of any surround audio inputs severely limits the usefulness of this unit.

Username: Inclement_weather

Post Number: 2
Rick,

Thanks for the info - I'm still within the returns period so will send it back. I think I'll read up on it a bit more before buying something else.....

IW
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us