Why pass video through the amp?

Username: Expatcanuck

Post Number: 6
Greetings -

I'm trying to grok this HDMI thing. Can someone advise me why one would want to pass video through the receiver?

I'd have thought that hooking up a DVD and/or VHS unit directly to the tv/monitor would be the way to go, with sound (which needs to be amplified to get a usable signal to the speakers) passed through the receiver/amp.

All thoughts welcome.

- Richard

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12421
Convenience

Gold Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 1288
The ability to have two or more inputs to work with and have the amp switch those inputs when switching sound inputs. I personally like the signal to be as pure as possible and send everything I can to the tv directly. Just get yourself a good (programable) universal remote to do the switching for you.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 72
The only good reason I can think of (and the only reason I do it) is so you can record any of your video sources to DVD or VHS. I have my HD sources (upconverting DVD and HD-DBS sat) going straight to the TV for purity as does Mr. Coulson (and to avoid the cost of HDMI switching in a receiver!), but I also have secondary outputs (composite or s-video) going to my RVX-657 so I can record to DVD without cable-swapping.

Bronze Member
Username: Turbodog

Post Number: 73
You never know when this will come in handy.... I completed my brown-nosing requirement for the entire year by dumping the BCS championship game from my Sat DVR to DVD for my Gator-alumni boss. Pushed a few buttons and went to church... done when I got back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us