Help! NAD 753 surround question

Username: Dgowen

Post Number: 1
I've got the NAD 753 - great 6.1 amp, but I can't get the surround mode off "Stereo"? I fear one of my kids hit a preset or something, but I keep pushing "surround mode" and it stays on stereo (same when using remote). It worked superbly for 1-2 months. Anyone know the key to unlock the mystery?

Thanks,
Dgowen

Bronze Member
Username: Usernamex

LondonEngland

Post Number: 27
My guess is that your speaker setting have been changed, and the amp doesn't know it has centre and L/R surrounds, and therefore won't change from stereo to the other dsp modes (I once temporarily lost the DTS modes on my T753 after fiddling with the speaker settings...).

After you get it sorted out, I recommend saving your settings as to a "preset" and it'll be easier to restore later.

If you get completely stuck, follow the notes below to reset the firmware back to default settings to start setup from scratch. This will delete any saved presets though.

"Just got off the phone with my NAD rep.. for the T753, he advises this process..

-> while the unit is on.. hold VIDEO6 and SOURCE right button (the outer two buttons on the bottom row) down for 5 sec's- the display will change a message

-> let go of them and the firmware will reset

-> turn the main power off (black pushbutton on the back of the receiver)

-> power back on... and you have a clean slate"

Post Number: 2
Usernamex:

Thanks so much - I will try this when I get home from work tonight. This is a very valuable bit of information - much appreciated!!

Dgowen

Gold Member
Username: Hawk

Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Post Number: 1061
Dennis:

Let us know if this works for you. Thanks

Post Number: 3
Wow, your advice was spot-on, usernamex! I had no presets entered, so I had nothing to lose by resetting the entire system. You saved me countless hours (or at least minutes - nah, probably days} trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks again!!

Dgowen

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 30
No worries fella : )

Cheers,
Mike

Post Number: 4
OK, so now this happens again, but instead of the only issue being the surround mode sticking on "stereo", ALSO - now the LED readout needs to be on "VCR" (not "DVD") in order to play a CD/DVD. I did the reset as usernamex suggested, and it got the surround modes back, but it still needs "VCR" on the LED readout in order to play a DVD.

What button could one of my kids pushed this time? It seems as though this problem could happen only if someone went into the back and switched some cables. (BTW - VCR still works on the VCR setting - but now, so does the DVD. And, no sound (when using a CD/DVD) when you put it on "DVD".

Dennis

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 42
"It seems as though this problem could happen only if someone went into the back and switched some cables"

Nope, you can freely assign the inputs to each item in your amp's menu; you can even turn off digital inputs, and select just the analogue inputs if you like (nb: If both are on, the amp defaults to trying the digital signal first). For example, your dvd player could be plugged into digital input 3. In the amp's menu the default connection could be digtial input 1. Rather than clawing away at the back of the amp with a tourch in your teeth, you can just re-map it in the menus. Here, I've typed the menu below up out of the manual addendum (had a pdf copy handy). See where it says digital in? play a disk and scroll through the inputs until you get the sound back. It could even say digital in is OFF.

"INPUT" is the menu as shown on the LCD, you can even rename this menu if you like.
"VIDEO IN / ANALOUGE IN/ DIGITAL IN" refer to the physical plugs on the back of the amp.

Cheers,
Mike

INPUT SETTINGS

INPUT : DVD
VIDEO IN : DVD
ANALOGUE IN : DVD
GAIN : 0Db
DIGITAL IN : OPTICAL 1
TRIG OUT 1 : MAIN

DON'T SAVE AND EXIT
SAVE AND EXIT

PS, say for example you plugged the vcr into the dvd plugs, and the dvd into the vcr spot. You can either move the cables, or just remap them in the menu.

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 43
FYI, you may have lost the "mapping" when you reset the amp setting before?

Mike

Post Number: 5
Thanks again, Mike. 2 Follow-up thoughts:

1) After doing the first "reset" the DVD played when the LED read DVD, and the VCR played when the LED read VCR - so I don't think any negative remapping took place after the 1st reset.

2) So, wouldn't the mapping problem be reset to the original after doing the 2nd reset? I know that my kids did push a few extra buttons before this 2nd problem came up, so I assume whatever they pushed "remapped" the unit. I'll try and follow your information above and see what I can come up with. It's working fine (having the DVD play when the LED is on VCR), so I guess the only problem I'll run into (if I don't fix it) is that I won't be able to record a CD or DVD to a videotape.

Dennis

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 47
Hi Dennis, maybe you'll find on the "dvd menu" that the inputs are marked VCR, and vice versa on the vcr menu. Should take two minutes to changes, once you've learned how to navigate the menus that is.

Also, just wondering if you're having these problems whether you've managed to sort out the speaker distance, size settings and level settings? Getting these right will make your system sound a whole lot better.

Good luck
Mike

Post Number: 6
Update: I was able to surf my way through the setup menu, and found that the DVD input was on Optical 1 (I was getting picture on a DVD w/ LED on DVD, but I got sound only when LED was on VCR). I flipped through the input options, and when the input said COAX 3, voila, I had sound.

I still am resetting the firmware about once a week in order to get all my surround modes back, and my kids say they're not touching anything. I suppose when I reset the firmware from now on, I'll need to go into DVD setup and tell it "coax 3" - we'll see what happens.

What happened to good, old, reliable "on", which would power up your system and work flawlessly!!

Dennis

Bronze Member

LondonEngland

Post Number: 81
Something sound funny there,... maybe you should contact the NAD support centre?

http://nadelectronics.com/help/login.php
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us