Newbie With A Stupid Question

Username: Thomask747

Toledo, Ohio USA

Post Number: 1
I have an embarassing question. I'm relatively new to HT, but I've been around high-end audio equipment for a very long time. I have the same $5000.00 stereo set-up (mostly Yamaha) since 1980 and it still sounds great! Consequently, I'm not up on many innovations in the newer gear. I recently got into HT and I have in my system a Kenwood AV Receiver. Now.....the stupid question. I honestly don't understand why, when I adjust the volume up.....the numbers on the receiver go DOWN. Same thing with setting levels on my surround system.....the numbers go from +10 to -10. Relative to what? I can get it to sound great but I'd kinda like to understand what I'm doing. My Kenwood manual doesn't really explain this at all. I believe that this arrangement is consistent with "infinitely variable volume controls" but I'm not sure. Can anybody out there help a Newbie out?

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12225
Those numbers are just there for you to gauge the relative loudness that you hear and equate it to the number they made. It is nothing that you really should bother with :-) Other units are like that as well.

Silver Member
Username: Davidpa

Portland, Oregon US

Post Number: 285
Nothing but their claim to individuality, maybe its a "special" feature, either that or the math guy is from out of town!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us