Urgent trouble with audio/video from dvd to reveiver.

Bronze Member
Username: Gbelous

CT

Post Number: 14
Last night I was trying to put together my new surround sound. Everything went smooth until I wanted to play a dvd. The diagram shows how I connected everything, however I don't know if my receiver allows component video inputs to be passed thru the composite video output to the tv.

The units I have are a Sony HT-DDW900 Receiver, Sony DVP-NS75H Dvd Player, Tivo, and TV only with one composite connection.

I was able to use the Receiver Video 1 slot for the Tivo and I could get video and audio to the TV, however no matter what variations on the Receiver Input Selector I used I couldn't get the DVD player audio and video to the TV at the same time. I could get the DVD audio thru Video 1, but no picture and I could get the DVD video thru DVD on the receiver to the TV but no sound.

I know this is confusing but any thoughts could really help.

Does it matter what Digital Optical connection I use on the receiver from the DVD player? Would using Digital Coaxial help better? Right now I have the Fiber Optic cable from the DVD out to the Video 1 in on the Receiver. The only options on the Receiver are Video 1 in and Video 2 in for Digital Optical and DVD in for Digital Coaxial. It logically makes sense that the Digital out on the DVD should go to the Digital in on the Receiver but that only has the Coaxial connection labeled "DVD" and shouldn't I be able to use Optical instead of Coaxial or did I buy the wrong cable?

Oh yeah, in the diagram the yellow dashed line from composite DVD to composite Receiver allowed me to get the DVD video on the TV when the component connection wouldn't.

That's enough for now, I hope someone out there can help!
Upload

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 12194
"however I don't know if my receiver allows component video inputs to be passed thru the composite video output to the tv. " It won't do that. The receiver is only acting as a switch and not a converter for your DVD player. You need to use the composite output of the DVD player into your receiver.

I thought we discussed this? :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Gbelous

CT

Post Number: 15
sorry, only had a few hours of sleep last night trying to get this all working. but i think i got it. (knock on wood)
thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us